Chapter 4

Chapter Four - Bonfire Night

By the end of the week I have settled in quite nicely in the Bauer Pack. Arcadia and I went shopping recently and I got some new clothes with the money I had saved over the years. It was all going well until Arcadia dragged me to some high-end stores and bought me expensive clothes, makeup and shoes. Of course, I had argued with her but she insisted that they were "gifts" from her and that I "shouldn't be ungrateful." I knew she was joking but her stubbornness is something I had to eventually yet unwillingly accept.

However, it was only yesterday that Atticus told me that I will be accepted into the pack today alongside other wolves during the ceremony. And now I am rummaging through my clothes to find something decent to wear. Arcadia is helping me while Atticus sits on my bed answering emails on his phone with a deep frown. He has been no help since every outfit Arcadia or I choose is immediately rejected by him.

"This is the one! It's so pretty!" Arcadia squeals as she holds up a white dress made of lace with long sleeves. It flares out at my waist and will reach mid-thigh from what I can tell. I smile and nod in agreement as it's not too plain and not too over the top either.

"No." We both frown immediately before turning to face Atticus. He's staring at the dress with narrowed eyes and I sigh heavily as I wonder what the problem is now.

"What's wrong with this one then?" Arcadia huffs as she crosses her arms over her chest in frustration.

"Too short." He mutters before going back to his emails.

I shake my head as I pick up a floral printed maxi dress. Holding it up to him with an expectant look I'm hoping he says yes so I can finally get on with my hair and makeup. We don't have that much time as it is.

"I want that burned." He growls distastefully.

"Why?!"

"Why is it backless?!" He snaps with narrowed eyes.

"Atticus, I don't dress like a nun!" I exclaim in frustration.

"I just don't like these clothes!"

"Out!" Arcadia growls before pulling him up and shoving him out of my room.

I laugh at her actions when she slams the door closed in his face as he whirls around with narrowed eyes. When she locks it and turns around to face me I hold up a navy, mini dress with spaghetti straps and small daisies printed all over it. Arcadia approves with a bright smile and I get changed quickly while she goes to grab my makeup bag. The dress fits snugly and hugs my curves. I pair it with a pair of white sneakers and am thankful that I don't look too overdressed for the ceremony.

Arcadia does my makeup and keeps it natural like I requested. Although it's autumn, my skin looks quite dewy with a warm blush and a wash of nude on my lips. She then curls my hair before running her fingers through my strands so that they turn into loose waves. I thank her before picking out some jewelry to accessorize my look with while she leaves to get ready herself.

I take one last glance at myself in the mirror as I spray on some perfume. Satisfied with how I look, I leave my room and turn to Arcadia who is walking down the hallway. She's dressed casually too in a pair of ripped denim, a pink sweater and heeled boots. Her curly blonde hair is now sleek and straight. She has kept her makeup light but has the sharpest winged liner.

"You look gorgeous as always!" I tease which makes her smile bashfully.

"Oh hush!" She loops her arm through mine and we make our way out of the house.

We walk through the territory to where most of the members have gathered for the ceremony. I feel myself become increasingly nervous the more we get closer but Arcadia soothes my worries with a little pep talk. Atticus stands on the makeshift stage where everything is set up. I leave Arcadia and join the few members who will also be accepted into the pack. Atticus' honey eyes narrow significantly as they roam over my dress. I smile cheekily when they meet mine and he shakes his head in response.