April

Chapter Song: Anthem Pt 2- Blink 182

My alarm went off although I already was awake staring aimlessly at the ceiling. Today was the big day. Pretty much the most important meet of this year at least for me. It wasn't our high school state swim meet, that had long passed. It was our club team that I have been swimming for since I got in the water.

Over the past few months since the club team started back in January it pretty much consumed all of my time. On the rare occasion that I had spare time, I spent it with Cal. We usually worked on homework at the Corner Cafe, sometimes inviting the rest of the gang. Mainly we tried to keep it just towards us, but usually, we were interrupted. If we weren't at the cafe he would stop by to play video games with Liam, while I sat and read next to them telling them how much they sucked.

Before that snowstorm, in February we would try to keep our time separate from everyone. After that night when things went farther for both of us, and we just stopped caring. As long as we were together was what actually mattered. We did try to keep our respectful distance when everyone was together. So far it was working out.

A scout from Berkeley was coming today specifically for me. My coach and our principal Mr. Hannover had been in contact with Berkeley since my state times were announced.

I think they were also going to watch Tyler too. He mentioned something about it at practice last week. Although I was pretty sure he was more interested in Stanford than Berkeley. Given the opportunity, I think he would still accept Berkeley. I wouldn't mind kicking his ass if he went to Stanford and I was at Berkeley though.

Smiling at the idea I hurried and threw on my suit as well as a hoodie and sweats. I slipped into my slides, grab my bag, and head upstairs. I quickly grabbed a banana and made a cup of coffee to go and headed out the door.

No matter how hot it was I would always wear a hoodie. This morning was cooler now that Spring was forming. I decided to roll my windows down and blast my music while I drove to school. Luckily our pool was hosting the regional meet today for the club teams. The home territory was always different. The water was in our favor this time around.

Even though it was an indoor pool, I imagined this is what the water that the Titanic sank in felt like. Cold. Not as cold as freezing water, I was being dramatic. The heat was definitely turned off for this meet. 

 I cleared my mind of everything, and just let my body do its thing. It glided with the water. I loved the way my body reacted to the water, it was natural. I had been doing it for years committing every movement to muscle memory.

I closed my eyes for a moment and let the bubbles escape my nose and mouth. I tilted my head for one last breath and go into my flip turn, this time I got my count perfect. Thank god. I finished my last lap and hopped out of the pool, ripping off my cap and goggles letting my hair fall loose past my shoulders. I wiped away any remaining droplets of water when I see him.

He was in the bleachers blending in with the crowd but I'd know his face from the countless google searches of him. Andy Sigler, Assistant Coach of the girls swim team at Berkeley and also the scout. Next to him was a woman and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. She was wearing the exact same Berkeley polo as Andy, but it was as if I was looking at a reflection.

No no no no no no no.

This couldn't be happening.

It isn't possible.

I wiped my eyes with my towel one more time as if the image would disappear but it didn't. There she was sitting next to Andy Siglar laughing having a good time.