34

Chapter Song: Mean It- Gracie Abrams

"Are you sure you don't want to come KP there's still time. You have plenty of dresses." Riley asked for the third time that night as I stood behind her twisting her hair and pinning it to her head.

"I really don't feel like going." I told her again sticking another pin in her hair. Her hair was so thick I think I used fifty bobby pins already and only half of her hair was up. Her hair wasso gorgeous and thick. Not to mention how shiny it always was. 

I continued to refuse, I just didn't have it in me to pretend that much. I was already pretending enough at school. Besides I didn't feel like getting dressed up to go to a dance without the person I really wanted to go with. Especially if he was there with someone else I definitely did not want to risk it. Or see it for that matter. It would hurt too much. 

"I know I just feel so bad you're here while everyone else is going," Riley sighed. I could feel the sadness in her voice which made me wince.

"I promise that no matter what I will go next year. Besides, we are juniors we have another year, and that's the one you definitely don't want to miss." I tried to sound chipper but I think she could tell I was forcing the emotions.

"I think there's going to be an after-party at my house tonight, will you come to that?" She sat up straighter looking at my reflection in the mirror.

Making eye contact with her I said, "we'll see". 

It was an honest answer. After the emotionally exhausting past few weeks, I really didn't want to do anything. But I couldn't keep laying in bed every weekend. I could have worked at the studio tonight, but I did promise to help Riley get ready since I wasn't going to go anymore. I even had a dress hanging in my closet. Either I would save it for next year, or I would donate it. It wasn't a huge deal to me. 

After finishing her hair I helped her get into her dress. She decided on a floor-length baby blue dress with off the shoulder sleeves. It made me think of Cinderella but not so poofy. This year's prom theme was Once Upon a Time. I told her to send me pictures to see how the student council did setting up and sticking to the theme.

She looked really beautiful. Riley always did though. She had natural beauty and everyone loved her. It wouldn't surprise me that if one day some long lost relative came along and told her she was actually a princess. Kind of like the movie Princess Diaries. I could definitely see it happening.

Liam and her went off to meet with Mason and Kylie. Liam was going with Kylie and Riley was going with Mason as just friends. Since she was already at our house they left together. It made the most sense after all.

Once they left I went upstairs to hang out with Livi and watch Disney movies with her. We made homemade pizzas and cuddled on the couch together. Our parents came home and joined us eating the leftovers.

Everyone was in love with all the pictures Riley and Liam had sent me. I had seen a few with Tyler in them, but none with Cal. Maybe they just hadn't talked to him at all. But if that were the case I didn't understand why they took pictures with Ty still. 

Eventually, everyone all went off to bed. I cleaned up the kitchen doing the dishes and even mopped the floors. I couldn't sleep so I stayed upstairs watching The Office in the living room.

After about three episodes I got the text. I didn't look at my phone at first because I figured it was Riley asking if I was going to the party. Considering I was already in my sleeping sweats I wasn't going anywhere. Finally, when I looked at my phone I dropped it onto the rug as soon as I read the name.

There was no way this was real. It couldn't be. It had been almost a month of no talking, a couple stolen glances maybe. That was it. I was finally coming to terms with that's how it had to be until now. Why in the middle of the night to people decide to talk to someone?