Early Morning

Copyright 2019 All Rights Reserved

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means-for example, electronic, photocopy, recording-without the prior written permission of the author

Hayley

There is an incessant buzzing that's been touching the far corner of my mind for the past five minutes and refuses to stop. One minute I'm in the arms of my man crush everyday, Liam Hemsworth, the next he's disappearing into thin air leaving me alone with nothing but that sound.

As my dream world starts to fade away and reality kicks in, I realize what the offending noise is and reach my right hand toward my nightstand to end it for good.

"Hayley! Don't you dare break another alarm clock! Get up and moving before I send Hayden to help move things along." Shouts my mother from the other side of my closed door.

In all my seventeen years on this earth, I have yet to figure out how she manages to know exactly what I'm about to do before I do it. Werewolves, a species of which we are, have enhanced hearing and eyesight, but not advanced enough to see through two inches of solid wood. She's freaky like that.

Pulling my hand back under the sheet, I finally open my sleep weary eyes to glare at the clock. 

So, it lives another day to torture me.

"Stop trying to kill the clock with your eyes and get in the shower!"

See what I mean! Freaky.

Knowing she'll make good on her threat to send my seven year old brother up here and remembering the last time that happened I ended up with pancake syrup in my hair thanks to his sticky breakfast fingers, I reluctantly get up to shower.

With a towel wrapped around me and another on my head, I go into my closet to pick out something for school when it dawns on me.

Today is Saturday, therefore no school. Not only that, but it's the second to the last weekend of Summer. School doesn't start until next Monday.

So why in the world was my alarm set for the ass crack of dawn? Okay, maybe nine in the morning isn't exactly that early, but on a day meant for sleeping until noon at least, it's a damn crime!

Irritated beyond belief, I storm out of my room in search of my mom. I open my bedroom door just as my twin brother exits his across from me. Clearly, by his rumpled shirt and threadbare sleep pants, he was rudely awoken like myself.

"Who the hell set my alarm for nine on a Saturday?" Hunter asks as he rubs the sleep from his eyes.

"That's exactly what I'm about to find out." I say as I head for the stairs that will lead me to the culprit.

"Um, you forgetting something sis?" Hunter asks from behind me but I'm too determined to give my mom hell for the early wake up call to bother with a reply. Dismissing him with a wave of my hand I start down the stairs, his laughter receding the farther away I get.

I pass the family room and keep going down the short hallway till I push through the swinging door of our kitchen. I spot my mother at the stove and stomp over. As I reach her, she looks at me with a smile that quickly freezes on her face after perusing me from head to toe. That's right mom, get ready to hear me rant!

"Seriously, nine 'o clock mom? On the weekend? What horrible thing could I have done to deserve that? And to know you snuck in my room to set my alarm, I have no words." Clearly the drama queen in me is operating full force today. Can't help it, sleep is precious.

Mom is still speechless, something that rarely ever happens. Just as I'm about to pat myself on the back for getting one up on mommy dearest, a throat clears alerting me to the fact that we aren't alone. I was so focused on my mom that I didn't realize there were unfamiliar scents in the air.

"Hey baby sis, forget something after your shower this morning?"

That voice and scent I've known all my life and a smile stretches across my face as I turn to meet the amused gray eyes of my older brother Cody. It's been awhile since I last saw him. After graduating from college last year, he decided to go back packing through Europe with a few of his buddies before coming home to take on his responsibilities within our pack. Of course there was facetime and phone calls, but it's not the same as being face to face. My parents gave him a year to do his own thing and by his presence here I see that time is up.

Normally I'd jump into his arms for a hug, but two things stop me from doing just that.

First, I'm currently naked under the small towel I chose to come down here in.

And Second, there are two guys who I've never met sitting on either side of my brother at the breakfast table. 

Awkward times a billion!

Even in this less than desirable situation, I'm still able to see that Cody's friends are hot! Both have blonde hair like my brother, but the one to his left is more of a white blonde cut short at the sides with enough hair at the top for a part and slight wave. The guy to his right is more of a surfer type who's hair is to his shoulders. That one is currently feasting his eyes on me with a cute smirk on his face.

Before introductions can be made, or I can make a hasty escape, another male enters the kitchen. This one has me cringing in anticipation of what's to come.

"Hails, why the hell are you standing in the kitchen practically naked when we have visitors?" booms my dad.

Instantly my hackles rise. Never one to resist a battle with him I reply, "I didn't plan on it. I just came down here to have a chat with mom. How was I supposed to know we had guests?"

From my side my mother finally speaks, "Oh, a chat with me you say? That's what that little fit you just threw was. A chat?"

See where I get my snarky tude from. Dear old mom.

Before I can point that out she continues, "I told you and Hunter last night that your brother and his friends would be arriving today. It's not my fault you had your nose glued to your phone and probably didn't even hear me."

I vaguely remember her popping into our family room last night as we were lounging. I was in an intense group chat with my friends over the back to school party happening next weekend. Hunter was probably lining up his next hook up. Obviously neither one of us paid any attention to what mom had been saying.

"Still doesn't explain why you're down here in nothing but a towel." My dad grumbles.

"I'm not complaining." says the blonde surfer dude quietly. Not quietly enough as he releases a grunt at Cody's elbow to his gut.

Thankfully my dad is too preoccupied with my current state to pay him any notice. Raising a brow he says, "You planning on getting dressed any time soon?" Dad asks.

It's a rhetorical question, he's not so subtly telling me to get dressed, but I wouldn't be me if I just did as he wished. Where's the fun in that?

Placing my pointer finger to my bottom lip I say, "Gee dad, I don't know. I think this look is coming back in style. I think it's called Post Shower Sheik."

I hear a couple chuckles from the blonde trio but wisely keep my eyes on my dad. As expected, his brows furrow and jaw clenches. "Oh yeah, well I think it's more a Hayley is grounded for life look and I'm completely okay with that if it's what you wish."

O-kay. Even I know when to cut my losses and if I have any intention of going to that party, now's the time.

"Right, headed up to get dressed now." I promise but can't resist adding, "Don't get your boxers in a bunch dad. I've heard it causes chafing." The guys and my mom laugh and I even see a slight twitch of my father's lips as I start to leave. He can never stay upset with me.

Just as I'm pushing through the swinging door I hear a muffled, "I think I'm in love." Followed by another grunt of pain.

I can't help but smile as I rush upstairs anxious to get dressed and officially meet Cody's friends. I may not have wanted to get up early but after seeing the eye candy in the kitchen I'm glad I did.