The Struggle

Phoenix

After a restless night, Sunday morning didn't bring with it the clarity I finally fell asleep hoping for. Instead, I woke with a heavy weight on my chest. Images of Hayley's pain filled face played on repeat in my dreams.

I sit up in bed, slightly relieved that I'm alone. A glance at the clock shows it's a little past nine. I get up to wash my face and brush my teeth before throwing on a tee and some basketball shorts.

As I descend the stairs, voices from the kitchen let me know that's where everyone is.

"About time you woke up! Thought we were gonna have to drag your ass out of bed if you took any longer." Grayson says as soon as he spots me.

"Didn't know I had to be up? It's Sunday. We don't start work till tomorrow and unless I forgot, we didn't have any plans today." I reply while going to the refrigerator to get some juice.

"Ignore him. He's just anxious to get going so he can check up on a certain green eyed hottie." Eric informs me.

His comment has me wondering if, like Grayson, he's taken an interest in my mate as well.

"I told you assholes to stop talking about my baby sis like that." Cody complains.

"Relax bro, just stating the obvious. You've got nothing to worry about from me. I'm just here for a fresh start.  Girls, especially ones related to one of my best buds, are not in my plans at the moment."

That's a relief to hear. One less guy I have to worry about. It isn't lost on me that there's no denial from Grayson. He just continues sipping his coffee from his place against the counter.

Cody takes his own cup to the sink, rinsing it out and placing it in the dishwasher. "Yeah, well that doesn't mean I need to hear you call her a 'hottie', it freaks me out."

"So noted." Eric replies with a shit eating grin on his face. "So, is sexy also a no-no word too?" He just barely misses the dish scrubber Cody launches toward his head.

Laughing, he raises his hands in apology, "Joking bro, shit!"

At that moment, Jeanette breezes into the room. "Morning babe! I was just about to wake you."

She kisses my cheek and I wince slightly at the contact. Luckily she moves toward the fridge and doesn't notice. As I turn away from her I see that Grayson has. He gives me a questioning look to which I subtly shake my head.

His face tells me he's gonna find out what's up, but he'll let it go for now. 

"So, why were you guys waiting for me to get up?" I ask. Hoping to distract him from seeking the answer to his unspoken question.

It does the trick as he smiles, "Mama Hanes invited us over for Sunday brunch."

"It's a weekly thing my family does. With everyone on different schedules, my mom insists we have one meal together as a family. Sunday brunch is usually the easiest one for us all to make it to. Now that you're all here and a part of my extended family, she wants you there too."

There's no way I can decline the invite without causing suspicion. I can't avoid seeing her forever. We belong to the same pack and her brothers my best friend. There's bound to be many run ins with each other. 

It's not that I don't want to see her, because if I'm being totally honest, I really want to lay eyes on her again. I have a need to make sure she's alright. That's what I'm worried about. Being able to control myself around her and not give in to the desire to hold her in my arms.

Apart from that, we do need to talk. I have to explain the situation to her. Make sure she knows that I never intended to hurt her, I didn't even know her when I made the choice to protect Jeanette.