In Pieces

Hayley

"I can't freaking believe this Hayley! Of all the guys in the world, your mate turns out to be mated!"

"Yes Sam, I know." 

She winces, "Sorry, didn't mean to sound so unsympathetic. I'm just upset for you. When we were little we talked about our future mates. We worried they'd have smelly feet or fart a lot. Never did we imagine this."

She has a point. Sam arrived bright and early this morning wanting to know exactly what happened last night. To say she was shocked is an understatement. 

"I still don't understand why," I say.

Sam comes over to hug me, "Me either babes."

"Hails, Nick and Slater are here," dad shouts from downstairs.

"Ok dad, we'll be down in five."

"You gonna tell them about Phoenix?" Sam asks.

I shrug my shoulders, "I don't really want to. You know how protective they can be. Cody and my dad don't even know yet. I asked my mom to let me talk to Phoenix first before we fill them in. There's no telling what they'll do."

"True. I guess the same goes for Nick and Slater. Tell them all at once. Like ripping a bandaid. One that's been on your leg that you haven't shaved for a couple days, and is practically glued to your skin."

"Wow, you're very descriptive," I say amused as always by my best friend.

It's her turn to shrug, "Eh, it's why I'm going to ace my creative writing elective this year."

I give her a mocking look, "And so modest too."

She pretends to pat herself on the back and we leave the room laughing. We meet mom at the bottom of the stairs and she whispers, "It's good to hear you laughing sweetheart."

"It's hard not to with Sam around," I say as I nudge my best friend in her side. "You need any help with brunch mom?"

"Not today. It's a simple breakfast casserole I prepared last night so all I have to do is pop it in the oven and make some biscuits. You girls go ahead and see what the boys are up to," mom shoos us in the direction of the game room.

Once there, we see everyone is lounging around on the couches that face the entertainment center. Nick and Hunter are on opposite couches while Slater and Hayden are camped out on the middle one, all of them focused on the tv.

"Right there Hayden, he ran into the bush," Nick tells my little brother.

"I know, I saw that guy but his teammate is building on the roof," Hayden responds, his fingers deftly flying over his controller.

I take the open spot between Slater and my brother as Sam lays on the couch where Nick is, resting her feet in his lap.

Gunfire is heard from the tv as the guys continue to shout suggestions. I lean my head against Slaters shoulder, still a little tired since I didn't sleep well. He leans back so I'll be more comfortable but continues to watch Hayden play. 

I've always felt at ease to do things like this with both Slater and Nick. We've known each other since we were five. Both their fathers are enforcers for our Pack, so when our dads were busy with their duties we would hang out. They're basically adopted brothers to me. Kids at school always questioned our close relationships, wondering which one I'll end up with. It's never been like that for us though. Besides, it's hard to find an attraction to someone who ate dirt because you dared them to, then puked all over your favorite pink Converse shoes. Or stuck worms in your hair because you said Superman was better than Batman. Nick the former, Slater the latter.