Weekend Work

Hayley

Saturday arrives after a pretty uneventful first week of school. I’m up and ready early for once, anxious to serve up a little payback to daddy dearest for once again being his overprotective self. I’m leaning into the fridge trying to find the last bottle of apple juice I hid in the back hoping none of my brothers found it when I hear, “If I’m going to have time to drop you off at the work site before my morning practice, you better haul ass and get ready.”

I take in my faded denim skinny jeans and black fitted tank that is tucked into them before straightening to look at my brother. “What do you mean ‘get ready’? I’ve been down here ready and waiting for the past ten minutes.”

Hunters’ eyes widen comically as he says, “If this is you being ready, where’s the rest of your shirt and why do your jeans look like they’re sucking the life out of your legs?”

Lord save me from the men in my life.

I once again resume the search for my coveted beverage, finally finding it behind a few plastic containers of mom's leftovers, and close the refrigerator. I untwist the cap and take a hefty drink before giving Hunter a response. “This is all of my shirt and seeing as I’m standing here live and well for you to harass, no life is being sucked out of me, but thanks for your concern,” I say with a wink as I walk to the front door. A frustrated growl from my brother makes me smile while I slip my feet into my work boots.

“Hails, come on! You know you can’t go to work with dad dressed like that! Dads gonna freak and probably end up firing every one of his workers.”

“Stop being so dramatic, Hunter. No one is gonna get fired. There’s nothing wrong with what I’m wearing. The sun is beaming today and the temp promises to be in the mid 90’s. I’m not about to risk passing out from heat exhaustion because my brother is upset I’m showing a little skin,” I argue as I lace up and head out to his truck. I manage to get in and buckle up before he joins me, stopping only to throw his football gear in the bed of the truck.

He starts the engine and adjusts the AC before laying into me again. “I have an extra flannel in the back seat. You can button it all the way up to your neck and roll back the sleeves. It’ll protect you from the sun, you know how easily you burn.”

I take another sip of my juice and reply, “I’m good. I lathered up with lot’s of sunblock.”

Another growl is heard and I swear he mumbles something about stubborn, pain in the ass sisters.

The fifteen minute ride to the area where the new houses are being built is blissfully silent but as soon as we pull up and Hunter sees all the guys hard at work, he tries again. “Come on Hails, just take the shirt,” he says, reaching into the back seat and offering it to me. I just laugh and lean over to kiss his cheek before opening the door and jumping out. I see my dad's truck around the side and figure he has my tool belt and hard hat in the back so I make my way over to it as I hear Hunter turn off the engine and get out.

Spotting what I need, I lean over the already dropped tailgate and reach for it, glad that the truck is covered by the shade of the semi built house otherwise the heat of the metal would have stung the stretch of skin that peaked out as my shirt rose. The hammer gets caught on the edge of the cooler dad keeps full of drinks so it takes a minute or two for me to get it free. I’m so busy trying to work it out, I don’t notice the sound of pounding and sawing has quieted a bit until hands are around my waist and I’m being lifted up and to the side. I’m about to ask my brother what the hell he’s manhandling me for when I realize that the hands still around my waist are sending tingling sensations throughout my entire body. All the air escapes my lungs and I’m two seconds from passing out when he gently lets me go, retrieves my belt and hat, then gives me a look that’s a mixture of lust, possessiveness, and longing before smiling slightly and walking away.