Bonfire Discoveries

Hayley

The party is already in full swing by the time we arrive. It took longer than planned to get ready, but totally worth it. That extra thirty minutes Sam needed to curl my waist length hair into nice beach waves compliments my entire look and I feel like a million bucks. I went light on my make up, just a light bronze shadow, some mascara, and perfect peach lip gloss. Sam is a knockout with her smokey shadow and wing tipped liner.

"Looking good ladies." Brayden Connor, the Captain of our schools basketball team says as we pass by.

"Thanks!" We both reply.

As we scan the crowd, I notice a group of familiar faces sitting on some chairs off to the side of the bonfire circle. Cody is currently telling a story that has everyone around him captivated. That's nothing new for my brother. Ever since he was young he always commanded attention. He radiates confidence and it draws people like a moth to a flame.

"There's Eric." Sam says nodding to one of the trees a couple feet from Cody's group. Knowing she's eager to chat him up, I offer to grab us a couple sodas while she gets a head start on her flirt sesh. I don't have to offer twice as she gives me a quick one armed hug and sashays her way over.

Laughing at her antics, I turn to find the drink cooler. I'm elbow deep in ice cubes when I smell the most enticing scent followed by a smooth seductive voice. "You digging for buried treasure in there?"

I turn to take in the person that voice belongs to when my gaze collides with the most striking eyes I've ever seen. Instantly my usually docile wolf springs into action, attention solely focused on the man in front of us.

His face registers shock before his eyes blaze bright in recognition. "Mine." is the only word that escapes his lips. 

My wolf preens in appreciation of our mate. His hair the color of midnight is shaved close at the sides with about two inches of length at the top that's purposely messed as if he's run his fingers through it a few times. His face is timeless, resembling an ancient Greek statue come to life. His body, though covered in blue jeans and a black flannel, is clearly built judging by the tight fit over his chest and biceps. By far his best feature is his eyes, the color of honey when the sunlight hits it. They radiate warmth and I find myself drowning in them.

His stare as he takes me in mirrors my own and I can tell his wolf is just as pleased as mine with what he sees. He reaches out to brush a stray hair from my cheek and tucks it behind my ear leaving tingles along every part of my skin his fingers caress. My heart stutters and feels as if it's about to explode.

"Hey Nix, you find the drinks?" 

Our private moment is shattered as both of us come crashing back to reality with Cody's approach.

"There you are sis, I see you've met my best bro Phoenix." he says with a smile.

How is it possible for a heart to feel so complete, then so completely shattered in a matter of minutes?

This is Phoenix, my brothers best friend, new member of our pack, and recently mated wolf. Mated to someone other than me, which is wrong because he's supposed to be mine and I, his.

Every part of me wants to scream out in agony. So many questions yearn to be asked, but as I remember the crowd of people around us I know now is not the time.

Cody's hand on my back startles me, "Hey, you ok? You look like someone pee'd in your cornflakes."

I allow myself one last look at my mate before responding and notice his eyes on my brothers hand and his jaw clenched. "I-I'm fine. Just a little frozen from digging in the cooler." The lie comes easily, somehow I know clueing Cody into what is currently happening is a bad idea.