Making Moves

Phoenix

"Now boarding Flight 147 to Honolulu, Hawaii." 

"That's us!" Jeanette says excitedly, pulling on my arm as I grab our carry on luggage. "Who'd have thought two foster kids like us would one day be moving to Hawaii?"

No one, that's who. 

Ever since we were young, both put into the foster system for different reasons, both werewolves and humans alike looked down on us. If your own parents didn't want you, what do you have to offer that would make anyone else? At least, that's the mentality I carried around with me for a long time.

It wasn't until meeting Jeanette, then eventually Cody, Grayson, and Eric that my mind set changed. I didn't need to be limited by the labels society placed on me. I could change where I was going by letting go of where I came from and creating my own tight knit circle.

That's exactly what I did and this is where it led. A fresh new start in a brand new place with the people I cared about most in the world by my side.

Jeanette continues her excited chatter as we board, find our seats, and buckle up. Leaning into me she whispers with a smile, "We're finally gonna start our future."

I return it. How can I not, her happiness is clearly plastered all over her fair face. Her blonde hair framing it like a glowing light. It's a light that was almost extinguished recently.

"Tone it down Miss Sunshine, any brighter and you'll cause the plane to malfunction. Then we'll never make it to Hawaii to start that future you're so anxious for." I tease.

Slapping my arm, she scolds, "Don't even joke about plane malfunctions. I'm too young to die." Though it's a joke, it dampens the mood.

Two months ago while backpacking with the guys throughout all of Europe, a trip I planned in hope of expanding the search for my mate, Jeanette called me. The terror in her voice was unmistakable. We'd known each other since we were ten. Anytime one of us needed the other we were there. My search had been a flop. Thousands of miles traveled and hundreds of unmated females were met but none of us guys found our mates. So we headed back home to California.

Once I saw the battered and bruised face of Jeanette, I saw red. I knew there wasn't anything I wouldn't do to help her. I just never realized in doing so, I'd be giving up something I'd been waiting for my whole life.

As the plane begins take off, Jeanette looks out the window with a frown. We're both leaving our pasts behind, hers is just a little more tragic. From a young age we're taught of mates and finding that special person meant just for you. Who would've guessed that Jeanette finding hers would be a nightmare?

When she first met Calvin, I was happy for her. She was finally gonna get her happy ever after. I may have gotten weird vibes from him, but who was I to get in the way of Jeanette's future. Things seemed good between them, but after he marked her, that all changed. 

Mates are possessive, it's the nature of the wolf, but Calvin was extreme. They moved in together and Jeanette was never allowed to leave without him. I saw less and less of her as he became jealous of our friendship. As my trip got closer, I worried about her but she assured me Calvin was just overprotective. She insisted that he loved her and would never hurt her.

How wrong she was.

One attempt to go grocery shopping resulted in almost being beaten to death by her own mate.

Wanting to ease her thoughts, I place my hand under her chin and bring her face to me for a quick kiss. She smiles happily, my action effectively easing her mind. As she lays her head on my shoulder and settles in for the long flight ahead, it's my thoughts that are troubled. 

Though our relationship has changed from friends to something more, and I feel good about the choice I made to save my best friend from her abusive mate, I can't help but worry that I made a huge mistake.

My disappointment at not finding my mate paired with Jeanettes situation had me making a rash decision. One that could cause a lot of pain if I ever do find my mate.

I immediately disregard that thought. It's been ten years since I was able to recognize my other half. That's a long time to be mateless. I may not have traveled all over the world, but I have been to a good portion of it with no luck.

I have to believe that I made the right choice. At least this way we can build a good future together. We enjoy being with each other. We love each other. What more could you ask for in a mating?

There may not be passion, but that eventually fades with time. A solid foundation is more important than a soul yearning need for one another. In fact, it's better than that. Who wants to face every day with an uncontrollable urge to be with your other half? Not me.

As I listen to Jeanette's steady heart beat and quiet breaths, I tell myself this is all I need and ignore the wolf within that whimpers in sadness.