Death Defying Dinner

Phoenix

Gripping the steering wheel tightly in my hands, I fight my wolf through every foot that separates us from our mate. It's an effort in strength to force myself to keep driving away from Hayley while knowing she's with three unmated males. One may be her brother and no threat at all, but try telling that to a dominant wolf who's already suffering through the choices of his human counterpart.

"Bro, if you grip that wheel any tighter I swear you're going to tear it right out of its joint."

Eric's voice penetrates some of the angry fog clouding my head and I release my death grip.

"I didn't think I was going to be able to stop you from murdering Slater back there. What the hell are you gonna do man? Seems to me the more time you spend around her, the harder it is for you to resist your wolf's instincts," he states.

By this point we've made it home. I park in the driveway next to Cody's jeep and turn off the ignition. Neither of us get out, both knowing I need to get myself together.

"It is getting harder to control. Everytime I see her all I want to do is hold onto her and never let go," I admit.

Eric is quiet for a moment before responding, "Well, that is some seriously...girly shit."

I punch him in his arm as he laughs at my expense.

"Damn, it was a joke dude! I get it though. Not the whole possessive stalker thing," I give him a look of warning and he quickly continues, "but the instinct you have to keep her safe. She's yours so no doubt your wolf wants to protect her. There's just too much complicated crap you gotta handle first."

At the risk of sounding more like a hormonal bitch, I feel like I need to make Eric see it's more than just my wolf. "It's not only that though. Yeah, I want to protect her, but I also just want to be around her. She's funny and sweet, she can hold her own with you for sure," Eric snorts but can't help but agree.

"Ain't that the truth," he says as he looks at his new ID.

We both laugh again at his picture. "She settles something deep in me that's always been so restless. Give me all the shit you want for saying this, but being around Hayley makes me feel like I finally have a home and for someone who's never really had one of those, it's fucking terrifying to think I may never get to have it."

My admission is sobering.

We remain quiet, both deep in our thoughts when our front door opens framing Jeanette. She places a hand above her eyes, shielding them from the rays of the setting sun and shouts, "Did Alpha Hanes work you guys so hard you can't even get out of the truck?"

I'm still silent, stuck in my thoughts, so Eric answers, "We'll be right in, just going over our schedule for the week."

She gives us a curious look, no doubt wondering why I didn't respond then says, "Okay, don't take too long though. I'm trying out this casserole recipe Luna Hanes gave me and it's coming out of the oven in ten minutes."

Eric and I both shiver, thankful the glare on my windshield most likely hides that from her view and I finally find my voice, "We'll be there in five."

Jeanette blows me a kiss and shuts the door.

"How long you planning on waiting before you tell her what's going on?" Eric asks.

Shrugging my shoulders I answer, "I wanted to talk to Alpha Hanes first but I think it would be better if I let Jeanette know about it before I do. She's already going to be hurt by this, I don't want to add to that by her finding it out from someone else."