Torture

Phoenix

I'm facing both an undeniable lust and a constant sense of worry as I watch Hayley work. It's hot seeing her work just as hard as the rest of us but the protective side of me worries she'll get hurt.

She's definitely pissed with my teasing but I couldn't resist egging her on. The fire in her eyes draws me in like a magnet and I keep wanting to see more. It's probably the wrong tactic to take if I plan on winning her over, but any reaction from her is better than the indifference she's given me on the few occasions I've caught a glimpse of her during the past week.

I haven't been able to keep my eyes off of her. When I first saw her bent over that truck it brought all kinds of dirty thoughts to my head and I just barely stopped myself from throwing her over my shoulder and taking her home.

"You keep staring at her like that, it won't take long for one of the bossmen to catch it." Eric's warning has me pulling my eyes away from Hayley as she helps her uncle secure a rafter. "Unless you're ready for that, then go ahead and keep drooling away."

He dodges my punch and laughs.

Returning to the measurement I'm taking of the front door frame, I reply, "Not yet, but it needs to be soon because she's driving my wolf mad." It's true. Every day I can feel him just below the surface, itching to be released to claim our rightful mate.

Eric looks at me with a grin, "Only your wolf huh? Is that why you're staring at her like she's an ice cold drink on this hot as hell day? Or why when she laughs you smile at her with that dopey grin? If you ask me I'd say that is 100% whipped Phoenix." This time he's too slow to dodge the elbow I shoot to his gut. He grunts but can't hide his laughter.

"Shut it dickhead. Maybe if you weren't spending so much time watching me, we'd be finished with this section already."

"We both know I'm not the one with distraction problems." He's quiet as he takes a look around. "You aren't the only one having that problem, though."

I follow his line of sight and see a few guys staring our way, or actually, Hayley's way. A growl rumbles through me before I can stop it, snapping Jared and Hayley's gaze to us. I only know this because of the gasp I hear, my eyes are busy glaring at every single male looking at my mate.

Eric tries to make a joke about splinters while slapping my back in an effort to break me of my territorial stance. It takes every last bit of my control to shake it off. I turn in time to see Jared giving me the same curious look Hayley's dad did earlier and worry I'll be forced to have that awkward talk much sooner than I planned.

Before he can question me, our attention is soon taken by the blue mustang that pulls up. Hayley's mom and aunt Megan get out, the former being swept up by her mate.

"Mom, what are you guys doing here?" Hayley asks as she makes her way past, giving me a quick glance before facing her mom.

Luna Hanes rolls her eyes in a move so similar to her daughter that it causes me to grin. "It seems your dad felt it might be better if you come and help your aunt and I for the rest of the day."

Hayley gives her dad a knowing look and asks, "Oh, does he now? I thought I was needed here."

Trevor tries to play it cool but we can all see right through him. Clearly, Hayley has won this round. "No. I think we're good here. You've already helped out so much. I'm sure your mom and aunt could use a hand with all the groceries they bought."

Harmony just laughs at her husband while shaking her head. "Yeah sure, the more the merrier."

Hayley walks back and kisses her uncle on the cheek then waves to Eric and myself before walking to where her parents stand. "Well, ok then, if you're sure I can't help some of the other guys…"

"Nope. We're good." Trevor doesn't waste a minute assuring her.

This time it's Hayleys aunt Megan that laughs. "Hayley wins again."

Hayley gives her dad a kiss like she did her uncle before winking and saying, "I'm sure there'll be enough time after helping mom to stop by the beach for that lesson I was promised."

Once again, I'm unable to stop the growl that is ripped from me as Trevor says, "Unfortunately Grayson had to go into the shop today for another custom design so he's not available." I don't miss the way everyone's eyes glance my way. 

"What the hell is going on?" I hear softly said from behind me where I know Jared to be.

Luckily Hayley's outburst redirects everyone's attention, "I bet you had something to do with that, didn't you?"

Trevor smiles, "Me, I've been busy negotiating the terms of a new job in the cab of my truck. How could I have anything to do with that?"

Hayley just glares at her dad before throwing her hands up in the air, "Whatever dad! I'm too hot and tired anyway. I'll probably just pass out after a cold shower."

I shouldn't be imaging Hayley doing exactly that right now but a pretty vivid image pops into my head. At least it's pushing aside my possessive outburst.

"Good idea. Thanks for your help today honey." Trevor says a little smugly.

Hayley just waves him off and gets into the back of her mom's car, her aunt waving and doing the same in the front passenger seat.

Harmony shakes her head before giving her husband a thorough kiss and waving to us all with a quick goodbye. Then they're backing up and once again separating me from my mate. I turn back to my work, hoping to finish this unscathed in the next couple of hours when two sets of footsteps approach.

I follow the brown workbooks up to the stern faces of Trevor and Jared before the former says, "I think you've got something you need to tell us, don't you Phoenix?"

Shit!