35: Til Death Do Us Part

I woke up the next morning, more terrified than I was willing to admit.

I had returned to camp early morning, letting Arthur know what had gone down. He, in turn, informed me that him and Sadie Adler had taken care of the remaining O'Driscolls. I didn't get much more out of him before Miss Grimshaw descended on me, chastising me for my haggard appearance and late arrival, forcing me to go to bed and get at least a few hours of sleep.

It was Dutch who woke me. He seemed about as nervous as me, wringing his hands as he stood, his normally confident demeanour out the window.

"Are you ready?" he asked, "We've gotta get there early, get you ready. The girls are coming too, they want to... I don't know, help with your make-up or something."

"I'm scared," was all I said.

"You're scared?" he gave a small laugh, "I have to come to terms that you ain't my little girl anymore!"

"Let's get this over with," I forced myself to sit up.

He laughed at my hesitancy, heading towards the horses. I locked eyes with Arthur who couldn't help but grin when he saw me.

"You look terrified," he laughed, "It ain't like you're going to your death."

"Shut up, Arthur," I growled, jumping up on Roach.

"I'm kidding," he said, "I can't wait to see you, you're going to look stunning. Good luck."

"Thank you," I smiled before turning to Dutch, "Let's do this."

We rode to Saint Denis, Tilly, Abigail and Mary-Beth following us to help out. They were already dressed up, I couldn't believe that they had got up early enough to be ready already! They told me they barely had an excuse to do so anymore, so they relished the opportunity.

I arrived at my parent's house, my dad opened the door for us, greeting us with a smile.

"Harry is here, but I'll keep him in the sitting room," he said, turning to Dutch, "Nice to see you, Mr Van der Linde."

"And you, Mr Wright," Dutch's smile was genuine, "And thank you so much for allowing me to give away our daughter."

"Mr Van der Linde, I wholeheartedly believe that you are the one with most cause to act as her father," my father told him, "But her mother is having kittens right now, as she feels she needs at least a whole day to get ready."

My father rolled his eyes and we laughed, but I was quickly ushered upstairs to get ready.

"Mr Van der Linde, if you would wait downstairs with the men?" my mother asked upon seeing him, "We'll call for you once she's ready."

"Of course," Dutch offered me a smile as I walked into the room, the other girls following.

The next hour was the bit I dreaded the most. They stripped me down and washed me, I was honestly still filthy from my rescue mission. My mother tutted at the bruises and cuts over my body, but there was nothing to be done.

Abigail and Tilly did my make-up for me, taking great delight in treating me like a doll. I was less than thrilled but kept my snarky remarks to myself. They were in control and could easily sabotage me.

My mother and Mary-Beth helped me get into the dress. I (or rather my mother) had opted for a white dress, something that was apparently becoming the tradition, with a long flowing train. It wasn't too fancy, some intricate patterns at the chest area, but for the main part, it was just a dress.