nineteen.

THAILIANA WILKINSON

THAILIANA WILKINSON

"Why here?" Thailiana questioned as Thomas led her into the church. She glanced around, it was her first time in years stepping foot into the Small Heath church and she noticed it hadn't changed much since her childhood. They were alone in the candlelit room.

"You're a good catholic girl, aren't you?"

"I was."

"Well, then you know it's here people come to confess." Tommy smirked as they walked side by side, stopping at the third row of seats. He moved his hand, gesturing for her to sit down. "After you."

They sat beside each other and Thailiana kept her eyes on him, following every move he made. She rested her hands on her lap, playing with the material of her dark red skirt. She couldn't help but think the colour resembled blood. Such a cruel thought to have while in a church.

"Well here it is, Liana. I'll confess." The man spoke up, his ice-like eyes focusing on every detail of her skin. "I need someone. Kimber has an adviser, by the name of Roberts. He talks well, he keeps the accounts. He runs the legal side of the business."

"And you need a Roberts?" She fiddled with her fingers, something she often did while nervous. "I'm not an accountant, nor a lawyer."

"No, but you have something I need." He paused, turning his head so that their eyes would meet. Thailiana smiled at the sight of the rare blue, her nerves instantly calming, contrasting with the coldness that blazed beneath his irises. "Class. I need someone who looks right at the big meetings, Epsom, Ascot."

"Is this a job interview?"

"Arthur said you're good with numbers."

"Well, that's relative." She scoffed playfully, a small grin appearing on her face as she remembered the horrible mathematics she'd seen Arthur do. "He is quite poor."

"You keep the books in order."

"They were chaotic." The brunette persisted, amusing the man beside her at the same time.

They stayed in silence for a couple few seconds, taking in each other's presence.

"Look, Thailiana..." Thomas started, trailing off as he thought of his next words. "You washed up in a place you don't belong, for whatever reason. My good fortune."

"And perhaps mine." She interrupted, smiling lightly. Tommy turned, placing his arm on the back of her chair. The action meant they were closer, close enough that Thailiana could feel the heat radiating off of him.

"You know that most of what I do is illegal?"

"I'm not blind."

"And yet, you'd still be willing to work for me?"