twenty eight.

THAILIANA WILKINSON

THAILIANA WILKINSON

       "-Give him peace." The priest finished his speech, the bible in his hands. "Amen."

The mood felt as dark as the clothes they all wore in honour of Freddie Thorne. They stood around his grave, each mourning the man they considered a friend, a brother or a husband. Thailiana let go of Thomas' hand, letting him step forward for him to say a few words.

"I promised my friend, Freddie Thorne," He cleared his throat, looking down at the pile of dirt that would soon cover up his casket. "that I'd say a few words over his grave if he should pass before me. I made this promise before he became me brother-in-law, when we were in France, fighting for the king."

"Amen." Arthur interrupted, preaching his brother's words.

"And in the end, it wasn't war that took Freddie. Pestilence took him." Eyes turned towards John's child who had begun crying, before they focused once again on Tommy. "But Freddie passed on his soul and his spirit to a new generation before he was cruelly taken."

Silence surrounded them as he finished speaking, everyone saying their silent prayers. Thailiana made her way over to Polly, who'd quickly become a mother figure in her life over the past two years. She could barely believe she'd known the Shelby's for over a month, let alone more than twenty four.

"Tom's gone to chat with Ada," She said as she stood beside the older woman. "I hope he's not traumatising her at her husband's funeral."

"How are things with you two?"

"Maybe we should go check, eh?" The brunette ignored her, hooking her arm with Polly's and dragging her towards the siblings. "To make sure she doesn't wind up sobbing, poor girl."

"You can't avoid the question forever, you know." The aunt frowned, letting herself be pulled towards her family.

"Karl's with his cousins." Thailiana grinned at the Shelby siblings, "Caught him trying to pinch flowers off a grave."

"Ada," Polly moved towards her niece with a hopeful stare, "Are you coming home?"

"I'm going home."

"It's all right, Pol." Thomas intervened, glancing up at his sister. "We make Ada embarrassed."

"That's not what I said."

"There's another reason we want you home." He continued, trying to get her to understand. "We're planning an expansion, I'm taking premises in London."