prologue

Karminia scoffed before finally opening her mouth, "You know, for someone who doesn't want to lose me, you're not acting like you want to keep me." Her voice could barley be heard, but Jackson always heard her, always.

"Are you shitting me? Like seriously Karminia, you act like I didn't risk everything for us to be together." Jackson spoke crisply into the air. He couldn't meet her eye line. He was scared. Scared of losing her.

She couldn't stop the sinister like laugh that escaped from her lips. He acted as if they didn't go through everything they went through, together.

Karma was a Kline, and Jackson was an Avery. Her father was the 'great' Karmen Kline, he was practically the reason for every breakout in  medical history.

Jackson being an Avery, was just making things more complicated then it already was.

Harper Avery and Karmen Kline were always attached to the hip. They had very friendly competition within their friendship, much like Meredith and Cristina.

And then something happened. No one really knew what happened.

Know one wanted to know, they'd immediately regret all of the information they would've taken from it. Messy, messy, messy.

This was practically a Romeo and Juliet love story. Except no one dies. Well, physically, at least.

No words were spoken between the both of them.

Karma was thinking about how much she was in love with him.

Coincidentally, he was thinking the same. Those 3 little words were yet to be said to the other.

But they both knew how the other felt. But words...words are everything.

Karma broke the silence, for the second time, "Maybe this won't matter in 30 years. It's quite a possibility that I won't even remember your name," she gestured between the both of them before she continued speaking, "But right now, in this very moment, it hurts. God Jackson, it hurts. And I don't know how to deal with it."

Jackson furred his eyebrows in confusion. He didn't miss the way her eyes lost their glimmer. He also didn't miss how she swiftly wiped the side of her eye.

Was she...crying? She never cried. Not when her sister died, not when they lost their baby, and not even during the shooting.

"I love you, Mina" Jackson said while stepping closer to her.

She couldn't think. Oh, how she's want him to say those words to her. But now? She didn't want to hear it. The lows between them, we so damn low. But the highs? It was like becoming a star. A strenuous act that had such an amazing and beautiful outcome.

She was lost in her own thoughts, she noticed how his shoulders slumped over, and how his head slightly hung down. The army kept her attentive.

For the first time, he doesn't know what she's feeling.

"If I could choose to love anyone, i-it would always be you,"
But?
"But, for a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. So, I'm letting it collapse. This will not be my destruction, Avery. This will be my birth." She let out a gasp she didn't know she was holding.

She studied his face intently. Trying to remember ever freckle, his plum lips, even his slight frown lines before walking right past him, heading for the door.

She knew he was crying. If she's stayed any longer, it'd be WWIII.

"If you ever, for even a second, regret walking out on me like this and want me back, if you ever look at old photos of us, or if you miss me, you tell me. Because I will always be there. I know you can live without me. But- But  I can't live without you. I love you. I always have and I always will. Forget April, forget Maggie. It's always been you Karminia. God, it's always been you."

She didn't turn around. And at this point, they were both full blown crying.

She couldn't look back.

No, she wouldn't.

She roughly pulled the doorknob and walked out.

"I love you too, Jackson Avery." She whispered once she thought he couldn't hear her.

But he heard. He always heard her.