XXXIV.

"All right, take a good look at Marco

"All right, take a good look at Marco. What do you see?"

I circled around the bodyguard, who stood with a stoic expression. I looked back at Xavier.

"I see a bodyguard?"

Xavier rolled his eyes. "Yes, Ro, he is. But that's obvious. I'm talking about things that aren't as obvious."

"He's not giving me anything!"

"You know that's not true. He's giving everything you need. He just has a few defenses you need to take down. Look closer and get a read on him." Xavier encouraged.

I gave a glance to Marco, who just shrugged, allowing me to do whatever test Xavier was forcing me to take.

After going through four seasons of The Mentalist, Xavier decided that I should try to have my own "Patrick Jane" moment. After a lot of convincing and tips, Xavier was able to convince me to try it on poor Marco.

Sighing dramatically, I put all my focus on the security guard. I slowly examined him and made a mental checklist– stance, expression, clothing, and details. I tried to remember the brief exchanges I had with him, recalling any personality traits I've seen or witnessed.

Okay, Rosaline. The first step is to take them off guard.

I walked around him one more time before I asked, "Have you ever been a stripper? I think you would make a lot of income from it."

Don't be mortified. It's all part of the exercise.

Marco jolted, his unreadable expression replaced with a look of shock. I didn't blame him. This was probably the last thing he thought he would hear from the shy woman living in this compound. I only exchanged a few conversations with the man since he was busy running the security here.

"Excuse me?"

"I'm looking at your body– and pardon me for doing that," I blushed but continued my examination. "You're muscular but lean. You have the build of a dancer. Maybe you can join me for one of my pole dancing lessons? I think Jasmine would approve."

"N-no! I'm not a stripper!" Marco defended, his own face turning red.

"Based on that reaction, you think male strippers are beneath you, since you are a tough security man? Toxic masculinity doesn't look good on you– which is very odd when you work here of all places. Are you afraid of the women that live here?"

"What? No! Xavier, where the hell is this going?" Marco hissed.

"You said that Rosaline was allowed to read you and gave her permission. You know that the best approach is the Patrick Jane approach!" Xavier said as he lay back in his chair, thoroughly amused.

"I didn't realize my masculinity was going to be questioned. I respect women." Marco muttered, rubbing his face.

I smiled and snapped my fingers.