Coronation

The past few days have been a blur. Nothing gave away the fact that I would soon be presented to the pack officially as the Luna and accepted into their pack. I haven't seen Alexander ever since I saw him watching Liam fight Jaq. I also haven't seen Jaq.

Nobody has been reminding me that I will be accepted to the pack in a matter of days and only now that the day is here, I finally notice it. Ivy is cheerful and keeps bouncing around, not to mention everyone else in the pack. 

Today is also the last day that Tom is here. He will leave tomorrow early in the morning back to his pack. He had told his Beta to handle a few days, until I will be going through the ceremony. There was a certain skip even in my own step when I went down for breakfast. 

Outside of the dining room, I almost ran into Alexander, who glanced at me and then turned directly at me. "Kathryn."

I gulped. "Alexander."

"I owe you an apology," he spoke softly. "I made hasty assumptions and thought you were just another girl craving the position of a Luna. And your changes to the pack..." I now expected him to say he was okay with them. "I'm still not on the same boat with them, but I'm willing to learn to accept those changes."

I smiled at him and nodded. "Thank you, Alexander. You are forgiven and I appreciate this," I answered honestly. He seemed to feel awkward, because he quickly entered the dining room. I waited a few seconds, before following him and taking my usual seat besides Liam, who was already there before me, sipping his black coffee.

Upon seeing me, he grinned. I heard your exchange with him, he mind-linked me and I smiled.

I feel like things are finally going the way they were supposed to go right from the beginning. He took my hand under the table and smiled. 

I feel it too.

Everything were speaking cheerily at the breakfast table. Ace and Archer were chatting between themselves, thinking what they can play today with the other pack's children. Ivy, me and Liam were chatting of things like the weather and other seemingly pointless things, but the emotion in our words today was sensable. It made me feel good, knowing I can finally feel like a part of this pack by the end of the day. 

After breakfast, Ivy invited me to have a walk around the pack's lands, just for the sake of it. So there we were, walking side-by-side. I could feel December nearing us in the weather and as I thought of it, I thought of Christmas. Christmas used to be my favorite time of the year, because the whole family was together. Then, for eight years, Christmas has meant nothing to me but another day to survive.

Ivy was quiet and I wasn't really going to say anything really. I felt like we were both just enjoying these minutes of silence. Finally we made it to the North border and we stopped.

"I feel like there's something in the air. Something that isn't supposed to be," Ivy mumbled, holding her hands in the pockets of her jacket, eyes gazing into the greenery.

"Something like...?" I trailed off.

"Like an enemy," Ivy continued. "A new enemy." Her words made me feel frightened and I tried my best to shake it off. I licked my lips and sighed. The air coming from my mouth exited as a white cloud.

"It's unlikely, isn't it? For an enemy to pass by without Liam knowing," I tried to reason.

She shook her head. "Kathryn, Liam has been hiding something for a long time. Already before you came along. He was always agitated, thinking of ways to protect the pack even more. A bit of time ago, we didn't have a wolf guarding the border in every direction, now there's two in each direction. He is suspecting something."