A Stranger

Someone had come and made the fire under the fireplace, but I sat unmoved. I just stared at the dancing flames, never turning my head to sound. Not even did I move when there was a tray of food sat on the place next to me.

I only moved when the bed next to me dipped and Liam sat beside me in silence, watching for my reaction. I licked my dry lips and, without turned my gaze from the fire, pushed the tray towards him. He stared at it and sighed.

"Kathryn, please eat."

"I don't want to."

He groaned and ran his hand through his hair in frustration. I was acting like such a child, but there were a few things I wouldn't tolerate and he seemed to know what those things were, because he kept doing them to me. "Kathryn, stop acting like a child and eat something."

I snorted and shook my head. "No," I said in a mocking voice. I began soundlessly drumming my fingers against my knees, trying to calm myself down. His actions were upsetting and he was the trigger. "You know how cliche it is to, as soon as danger reveals itself at the horizon, lock your pregnant mate up. Honestly, have you been reading or watching some soap operas?" I taunted.

"You do know why I'm doing this, right?" he asked angrily. 

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not an idiot, Liam. You think as soon as I'm out of this room, I'll be out picking up danger in order to get what I want. That just so happens to be saving Ivy." His thoughts reflected it all very well, so he didn't even have a chance of hiding it all.

He grabbed my chin and turned me to face him. Meeting his grey eyes, I felt hypnotized and just couldn't break the gaze anymore. "I know you, Kathryn. And I know you wouldn't listen to me when I was to say you had to stay back. Stay safe. Even if I left that door open and you promised me you'd stay here, you'd still walk out," he spoke.

"It's almost dawn, Liam," I pointed out with a shaky voice. "You know what happens at dawn."

He looked down and nodded slowly. "Yes, I do know."

"So why are you here, when Ivy is out there?" He stared at me quietly and I felt tears forming on his silence. I realized why he was here, without him having to say anything. "You don't believe you can rescue her, do you?"

He stayed quiet and just stared at me with a sad look. Anger bubbled from within me and I pushed his hand off of my chin. "You're just going to give up like that?! She's your sister!" I cried out and he flinched. "Would you give up if it was me?" He instantly shook his head, but then fell into a state of silence where only thoughts consumed him.

He sat straighter and pulled me to him by the back of my neck. He feathered a kiss upon my forehead and then got up and left. I heard the click of the lock and I knew I was locked inside again, but this time, I had hit something. My words make him act and that's all I needed for him to do.

I turned my face in the direction of the fire again and then to the window. Sun was peeking from behind the thick trees of the forest, but it was there alright. Hang in there, Ivy. I doubt she got any of my mind link messages, because it's like she was completely gone from the ground. But I hoped she did and I would keep trying until she does.

*A stranger's POV*

I walked around the bed repeatedly. It had been pushed in the middle of the floor and I kept walking around it. In the middle of the bed laid a fair beauty. Like a fragile doll or the princess from Sleeping Beauty, she laid with her hands on her stomach. 

I counted the steps I took around the bed and every tenth step I would look up to see if she was awake yet. When her eyes stayed closed, I dropped my head and took another ten steps. I listened to her breathing grow louder after a bit and I knew the time was close. She would have to wake up soon enough.

Screaming of hurting women and men echoed in the hallways and I flinched, just staring at the girl. She was keeping me sane here.

After a bit longer, the screaming died down, most likely literally, and the girl's eyes fluttered open. My insides felt like they were on fire. Her grey eyes searched the room with fright evident in them and I walked silently around the back of the bed so she saw me. She gasped and quickly jumped up from the bed.

My eyes met hers and cold chills ran through me. She was the one. I knew I had a reason for demanding her to be brought here. She stared at me with wide eyes, mouth slightly open.

"Hello," I spoke and took a step closer to the bed. When she didn't make a move away from me, I sat down on the edge of the bed. "What's your name, sweetheart?"

She closed her mouth and licked her lips moist, before answering with another question. "You're my mate?" she asked. I chuckled and smiled at her. She was adorable.

"Seems like you're stuck with me indeed. I'm Theodore," I announced, as if indicating for her to tell me her name again. 

"I-Ivy," she stuttered. I held out my hand. She hesitated but pressed her palm against mine. A wave of pleasure ran through my veins and I brought her hand up to my lips.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Ivy," I murmured and pressed a kiss against the back of her hand. She shivered and slowly drew her hand away from my grasp.

"W-Where am I?"

I frowned. "Now that's probably the first answer you are not going to like."