Check-up

I held my hands neatly folded on my lap, waiting for the door to the study to open. I was supposed to today meet the Alpha of Grey Valley pack. 

Finally, the door opened and I instantly stood up, straightening out my dark red scuba dress. Liam walked beside me, another man walking into the room after him. He was quite handsome, older than Liam. His eyes followed every curve of my body and I'm pretty sure he tried to see through the dress, which ended above my knees.

I painted on a polite smile. "Hello. I'm Kathryn Noble," I introduced myself and held out my hand. He took my hand gently and pressed his lips against the back of it.

Pull your hand away, Liam snarled in my mind. I ignored him. 

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Kathryn. My name is Fredric Cornell," he introduced. "Alpha Fredric Cornell."

I fought a snicker and nodded, taking a step back next to Liam, who instantly wrapped a protective arm around my waist. Fredric studied him and then coughed.

"Oh. Luna Kathryn Noble," he spoke and then pressed his palms together. "My apologies." He had directed that to Liam, who was still trying to control his temper. I placed my palm over his hand on my hip and he took a deep breath.

"It's fine. Completely harmless," he said and then forced a smile.

"Right. Should we move on?" Fredric asked and Liam finally snapped back to himself.

"Yes, of course. You said you had made a decision," Liam asked.

"Yes, I have," Fredric answered.

I looked to Liam and smiled. "Why don't we take a seat then and talk about it?" I offered. Fredric walked to an armchair while Liam and I sat on the sofa behind us. Fredric's eyes flickered to me a lot, but luckily Liam didn't notice that, although I did.

"I have decided to accept your offer and unite my pack with this for some time. My pack has been announced," Fredric explained. Liam nodded and began talking of some more things that need to be known. Like how many people are coming, if they need something special.

I just looked down at the carpet, half-listening, but mostly thinking. I was still quite tired, but I felt better than most times after going into heat. Usually I'd be too tired to move for most week and the pain would last much longer, even passed out. I guess going into heat really does need a mate by your side.

The door to the study opened and I raised my head to see a woman at the door. A woman I recognized from the bakery I visited with Ivy.

"Heavenly," Liam greeted and shifted his hand from my knee on my lower back. "Kathryn, Heavenly is here to do a medical check up on you." His words startled me.

"I'm fine," I insisted with a whisper. 

"Kathryn."

"Okay." I stood up and smiled to Fredric, before crossing the room. Heavenly smiled to me and stepped aside, letting me through the door first. I answered her smile and walked out of the room. I waited for her to close the door and come up to me.

"Let's go to your bedroom, alright?" she offered. I nodded silently and walked ahead of her towards the all too familiar room. Heavenly closed the door right behind her and I sat on the edge of the bed.

"What are you doing here?" I asked silently and she picked up a bag off of the couch under the window.

She smiled at me and took the bag over towards me. "I usually visit this pack only for important things or when called," she explained. "Like now. Alpha Liam called me to check you out," she added.

"Why exactly?"

"There's a big chance you've been impregnated, as I have been told. We need to make sure of that," she explained and I frowned.

"Isn't it too early to check that out? It has been only a few days, Heavenly," I told her with a frown. How can something like that be made sure already right now?

"Every vital sign is already intensified for a wolf. Making sure if you're pregnant of not is quite a simple thing already. However, human indicator, like tests, aren't quite as correct all the time. Instead, we're going to do a simple home test."

I frowned. Was Liam really so scared of me being pregnant?

"Alright, how?"

She began messing around with her bag before she pulled out a small plastic cup. "Usually it requires first dose of the day, but your hormones are strong enough."

"Dose? Dose of what?"

"Pee."

My eyes widened. I was going to have to pee? I didn't feel like going to the bathroom at all now. Heavenly studied me and then frowned.

"Are you okay?" she asked carefully, placing her hand on my elbow. 

"This is all very new for me, Heavenly. I'm kind of... shaken," I said, trying to explain it all the best I could. "I'm only nineteen after all."

"Quite young indeed, but I know you could handle a child. Plus Liam is already... 23 is it?" I looked at the ground beneath my feet and scrunched up my nose. "Now, we better do this, before that meeting ends, shouldn't we?"

I gulped and nodded. I indeed didn't want him around while I had to do this. Heavenly held out the plastic cup for me and I took it, a bitter expression on my face. "Whate exactly...?"

"Just pee in the cup, that's all you must do," she chuckled and I stood up. Taking all the time of the world that I could, I walked into the bathroom. A few minutes later I returned with the cup, lid tightly on.

Heavenly didn't even pull a face, taking the cup. She opened the lid and then emptied a paper back with white powder into the cup. I stood by silently, waiting.

"That was bleach," Heavenly spoke and looked up from me. I bit my lip and nodded. A few minutes passed and Heavenly let out a relieved breath. "Well it seems like--"

Just then her eyes fell on the cup again which had started fizzing and creating foam.  The longer it stood, the more it came. I looked at the cup and then looked up to Heavenly with a questioning look.

"Well, it seems you have something to tell your mate."