Ch. 36

Blaise and Ginny stared at him in shock. Ginny stumbled over her words as she asked, "What? What do you mean, she has no trace of lycanthropy? She was bitten by a werewolf!"

"So it seems, and yet we were not able to find any indications that she has the infection," The Healer said. "Now this raises the question of whether or not she was really bitten by a werewolf. Because if it was another creature we need to know so that we can treat it properly."

"But...but we watched it happen!" Ginny exclaimed. "She's the Head of the Beings division in the Ministry and was taking care of a werewolf last night with our help, and we watched her get bitten!"

As Ginny and the Healer argued, Blaise stood there quietly thinking. He looked down at Hermione for a moment and then looked back up, clearing his throat.

"Sir, with all due respect, we did watch the werewolf change and then bite her," Blaise said. "But what I'm about to tell you next must not leave this room."

The Healer raised an eyebrow skeptically but nodded. "Go on then, Mister Zabini."

Blaise took a deep breath and looked down at Ginny before explaining, "The werewolf that bit her had taken an experimental potion believed to be a cure for lycanthropy. He didn't change at first, and we believed it had worked. But it clearly didn't and he bit her."

"A cure?" The Healer asked in surprise. "But how is that possible?"

"Trust me, the man is very smart." He then looked down at Ginny and muttered, "Do not tell him I said that. His ego is large enough already."

Ginny laughed slightly at this but they were interrupted by the Healer who was looking between them with frustration. "Why were we not notified beforehand of this? We could have inspected this potion first."

"He didn't want the news to get out until it was ready as he didn't want to create any sort of false hope," Blaise explained. "And he also didn't want to put any other lives at risk in case the potion failed horribly."

The Healer sighed and rubbed the back of his neck before looking over at Hermione. "Well, some form of the potion must have worked because it apparently wasn't passed on to her. Which is still miraculous but at the same time..."

He then looked up at them and asked, "Would you be able to bring in the werewolf so I can go over his vitals and see if the potion changed him in any way?"

Blaise gave him a surprised look but said, "Uh, sure; I can see if he's willing to come in here. He might not be, though, just to warn you."

"I will be sure to be very discreet about everything," The Healer explained. "And he would only be working with me."

"We have to find him first," Ginny muttered, crossing her arms against her chest.

"Take your time," The Healer nodded. "If he does decide to come in for evaluation, please notify me immediately."

Blaise nodded and the Healer turned to leave the room. After the door closed, Ginny sighed and shifted her weight from one foot to the other while she looked back at Hermione.

"Where do you think he went?" She asked quietly. "Back to his manor?"

"I'm not sure," Blaise admitted, moving behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist while resting his head on the top of hers. "We can always check there first."

They both jumped as they heard a groan and saw Hermione shifted slightly in the bed. Ginny immediately pulled away from Blaise and rushed over to the side of the bed as Hermione barely opened her eyes and took a deep breath.