Ch. 45

"Christmas is on a Thursday this year," Ginny groaned, leaning back into the couch after pouring a glass of wine for herself.

"Merlin, I can't believe I nearly forgot about Christmas," Hermione said as she shook her head. "I've been so preoccupied with this gala..."

Ginny laughed at this before taking a sip and looking out of the window to the lake. The girls were having a night together at Hermione's cabin, and Ginny was insistent that it was going to be a stress-free night without all of the fuss of the gala or the boys; Draco and Blaise seemed rather happy and insistent on Ginny and Hermione having a stress-free night together, and they were even more delighted when the girls mentioned going to the cabin.

"Now now," Ginny scolded, holding up a finger to Hermione. "You promised no gala talk tonight."

"I wasn't talking about the gala," Hermione said in a playfully exasperated tone as she pulled her legs up underneath her. "I simply mentioned it."

"Same difference," Ginny said with a wave of her hand. "No mentioning or talking about it."

"Fine, fine," Hermione sighed. "So what are you doing for Christmas?"

"I don't really have anything planned right now," Ginny said with a shrug. "Mum and dad are planning on hosting their regular Christmas dinner with the family."

"Are you thinking of going?" Hermione asked curiously.

Ginny chewed on the inside of her cheek momentarily. "I'm not sure. I mean, it'll be weird to go because Harry is going to be there and he's bringing his girlfriend, but it'll be weird not to go because it'll be the first Christmas dinner I miss."

"Oh yeah, that's going to be really awkward," Hermione said with a frown. "Regardless of the fact that you and Harry left on good terms, that's still incredibly awkward."

"Harry somewhat agrees, though he knows that if I go, Blaise will be going so he thinks it'll balance out," Ginny shrugged. "I haven't even brought it up to Blaise though, since I'm not sure if I'm going still."

Hermione took a sip of her wine and shook her head before nudging the red head with her foot. "Maybe Blaise will whisk you away on a surprise trip so that you have an excuse not to go!"

Ginny laughed at this. "That would be ideal right now! Mum's been asking pretty much every day if I'm going to join them, and I don't know what to tell her."

"Just tell her you have plans with Blaise already," Hermione said with a shrug.

"But the thing is, I kind of want to go," Ginny sighed, looking into her glass. "Charlie's going to be joining us apparently, and you know it's been years since I've seen him."

"Merlin, I can't even remember the last time you told me you visited him," Hermione laughed. "That's going to be interesting."

"You're more than welcome to join," Ginny said brightly. "You know they won't say no to you being there; Mum even mentioned it."

Hermione paused before sighing. "They might object to me bringing Draco though."

"If they aren't objecting to Blaise then they shouldn't object to Draco," Ginny shrugged. "Besides, they got along with him pretty well at your brunch."

"Yeah, after I slipped your mother some Calming Draught," Hermione muttered before taking a sip of her wine.

"What?!" Ginny exclaimed, grinning. "How did you manage that?"

"It was actually in the mimosas," Hermione said, returning the grin. "I didn't want anything to happen in my new house so...I made sure everyone was calm."