9

On the way home, I tell Viviann about my conversation with Mark and she tells me about hers with Jacob. "I'm so excited for you!" She says to me, "My little baby is all grown up!" She fake cried and I laughed.

          "You know it, careful, you might have to give him a blessing." I wiggle my wedding finger and my eyebrows laughing.

          "Someone's cocky!" She laughs as we pull into her driveway. We get out and go inside so I can straighten up before going to the police.

          "I've gotta brush my teeth real quick, then we can go." I walk upstairs and into Viviann's bathroom, brush my teeth and hair, then head back down. I come down to see Viviann playing with Silver and Shaylee, "Hey girlies! How are my favorite people?"

          "Stephie!!" Next thing I know I have two little children on top of me hugging me.

          I laugh and hug them back. "Is it true? Is your mommy and daddy gonna be our mommy and daddy too?" Silver asks, they both seem excited.

          "Only if they want to be, don't bug them about it ok?" They both nod and allow me to sit up.

          "Our real mommy's scary. She treats you bad." I nod and smile at them.

          "I'm just glad that you guys are ok." I kiss their foreheads, "Now, sissy has gotta go do something. If you come with me and Viv and act really, really good, I'll get you some hot chocolate."

          "YAY!!" They both chase each other up the stairs to grab their coats and hats. I laugh and get up, grabbing the handrail for support.

          "They were telling me how strong you really are." I turn and look at Viviann, she seems sad.

          "Have to be," I smile at her, "If I don't give them someone stronger than her to look up to, I'm scared they'll become her, and that's the last thing I want." Viviann gives me a hug then we hear the sound of little kid footsteps running to the stairs.

          "Stephie! I'm ready!!"

          "I was ready first!" I smile and we all head out the door.  After we pull out of the driveway, it doesn't take long to reach the police station. The girls are too distracted to notice where we are, so I get out.

          "Make sure they behave, if they ask, I'm going to see a friend." I whisper. Viv nods.

          "Are you sure you can do this alone? I can go with you." I shake my head and smile.

          "If they need a second party, I'll call you. But I've got the house camera footage on my phone and, y'know, my head." I laugh a little. She smiles and shakes her head.

          "Alright make it quick, we'll be here." We blow each other kisses and I head inside.

          After a while, I head back out to the car. They told me they'd look into the case, they got the recordings from my phone, and listened as I recapped my childhood and last fight with her. For now my house is under surveillance, and we'll be staying at Viviann's. The twins are asleep, so I explain everything to Viv quietly.

          "Well, this is good then right? Your mom may go to jail." I nod but I don't smile.

           "If no one adopts Silver and Shaylee before they arrest her, CPS is gonna take them away, and I don't wanna lose them." Viviann rubs my back.

          "Mom and Dad are working on getting the paperwork, it shouldn't take long now." I nod again and Viviann starts the car. I know I should feel relieved, but I can't help but feel like I've just made things worse.