Chapter 4

Itachi looked back and forth between the two Konoha nin. "Why am I here?" he breathed out, with a tinge of confusion in his voice.

Shizune couldn't quite find her voice yet, so Kakashi answered him, still staying in his position by the window.

"We brought you here." Thank you captain obvious.

Itachi stayed quiet and looked at Kakashi as if he just said the most stupid thing in the world.

"Why am I alive?" he pressed further.

Kakashi's visible eye slid across the room and landed on Shizune. She let out a shaky breath before saying, "Your illness is treated." It was a matter of fact answer. She didn't elaborate right away, and instead she slowly trudged nearer to the edge of the bed. Itachi watched her cautiously, not sure of what she was going to do. As her knees hit the bedside, his body stiffened and his eyes glared.

"Relax," Shizune said, somehow finding her bravery. "I'm just going to examine your recovery process. Not that it's needed, your case was treated by the most capable medic of the world. But it's a protocol before letting you check out of the hospital." Her hands reached out to him slowly, so he wouldn't be jumpy. In his eyes, Shizune could see that he was still wary of her actions, but he let her proceed. The green chakra glowed from her hands as she checked over his injuries. Everything was looking pretty good. In fact, she was surprised that everything looked as well as it did. It was just going to take a bit to heal all the way because of how exhausted his body is from the illness. It really did a number on him.

'You're lucky Sakura was not on mission,' Shizune thought.

She brought her hands back to her sides and backed up, returning to her spot at the door. The room was filled with silence. Kakashi and Shizune waited for Itachi to ask more questions, but nobody spoke for a while. When someone did speak it was Kakashi.

"We know about the elders giving you the mission to kill your family."

Itachi visibly flinched at his words. His eyes narrowed slightly and he glanced between both Kakashi and Shizune, not really sure what he should do. Shizune decided to add to the conversation, immensely curious to see Itachi's reaction to what she had to say.

"Sasuke was informed on the situation as well," she whispered. "Both you and Sasuke was brought back to Konoha. You will testify your piece against the elders and they will be punished for what they made you do." She watched him as he watched her. His eyes searched her face to see if what she said was the truth or not. His voice grew quieter as he asked his next question.

"Where is Sasuke now?" His eyes were still glued to her face, anticipating her answer. She bit her lip, unsure if she should tell him that he was in the next room. She glanced over at Kakashi, silently asking with her eyes of what they should tell him.

"Somewhere nearby," Kakashi decidedly said. Even though it was a very vague answer, he still told him the truth. Shizune nodded her head in affirmation, confirming that what he had said was the truth.

"In fact, I was ordered to escort you to Sasuke as soon as you wake up."

Shizune pulled the wheelchair, wheeling it towards the bed, "You're body is still suffering from side effects of the disease. Nothing major, just exhaustion and weakness. So, rest and please don't try to strain yourself."

Itachi is carefully placed on the wheelchair by Kakashi. Shizune waited for them before making a deal and slamming her hand to the wall. The wall parted, creating a passage.

"This will lead you there isn't without being spotted."