Chapter 7

Sakura was lying on her back on the cold floor of Kumo hospital. Every part of her body was filled with pain and agony. By now she has lost the sense of time as she feels her own blood slowly leaving her body from the wounds.

The fight has left her a long time ago now replaced by fear, sadness and hurt of betrayal.

Fear that she was going to die. Here alone with a broken self and no goodbye to her parents, Ino, Tsunade. Forgotten by her Anbu team that abandoned her. And Kai who left her there.

Betrayal from the lies. From leaving her after all she has done for them. From trading her to a enemy.

Sadness for her friends, for her parents,  for Shikamaru and to herself.

She knows she shouldn't have attacked, but she also knows that Kai shouldn't have fought back, shouldn't have lied. All she saw was red image of her mother and father dead and her teammate standing right there.

Maybe she did deserve this. For being weak, for all the people, she killed with her weapons. Now trapped alone. She listens water trip on the pavement the sound echoing around.

Tip tip tip

She is starting to lose feeling on her legs. Her vision and is blurry tears threatening to fall and she lets them. She is going to die. She closes her eyes and drifts off thinking she hears footsteps as all goes black

Her body lurched forward, gasping for air, eyes wide, looking around the room wildly. A sigh of relief fell from Sakura's lips, as she took the sight of the familiar room of the hospital and peacefully sleeping Uchiha on the bed in front of her.

It's been a while since she had that nightmare. Looks like her subconscious is reminding her the consequences of trusting the people too much. She mused. Sakura stood up and went to check on Itachi. His breathing was still fast, which was normal for people who recently had lung surgery. 

After the check up, she fell back into the chair, picking up a random book Shizune had left while she was in the shift. Sakura was so engrossed in the story that she suddenly jumped at the soft knocks on the door. A familiar face peaked in. Sakura gave a deadpanned look before picking back the book and started to read again. She hears him coming into the room and “How is he?,” an unsure voice comes from behind her, and she turns to see Sasuke sit down quietly next to her. "He needs rest, proper food and his medicine. He'll recover." She answered without looking away from her book. She blinked and finally turned to face him, only to find fun already looking at her. "Yes?" Raising an eyebrow, she asked. She was getting creeped out by the constant stares.

She blinks rapidly, dropping the book in her lap but Sasuke already pushing his seat back to stand. Then the Uchiha walks around the table and bends at the waist. Sakura's world stops and she scrambles to her own feet.

"Thank you for saving my brother."

Sasuke’s voice doesn’t wave or rise once, but his words catch Sakura by surprise.