Chapter 6

Emerald green eyes shifted to the frail man's in the wheelchair. Itachi looked blankly into the eyes of his healer, and suppressed the urged to sigh. Despite being a kunoichi, her eyes are like open book. Displaying every emotion she is feeling. Pity, being one of them. Pity for who? Him? He doesn't believe so. He deserved what happened. In fact, he deserved to die by the hand of his beloved brother. But The deity above deemed death to be an easy punishment for a monster like him. The fate wants Itachi to suffer. And suffer he will. Whole-heartedly. Because he deserves it.

A noise of clearing throat, brought the man out of his thoughts. He realized the whole room was now staring at him, including the woman he was looking at, lost in thoughts. And then he blinked, a bit taken back due to gentle smile the pink haired kunoichi sent in his way. Recognition dawned on his face. The woman was former teammate of his brother!  He remembered the child years back. Small, fragile. She's grown into a fine ninja. But those eyes. They're still the same. Same compassion, same fire, same brokenness.

"Welcome back home, Itachi." The hokage smiled at him. The smile his mother used to give him when he come back from his missions as the survivor of his squad. The smile that was directed to the twelve year old child rather than an Anbu Captain.

He was wheeled back to the hospital from the same route. But this time, his healer was following with him and Kakashi. The journey was silent as he was pushed inside a room. Kakashi left after helping him into the bed.

His healer leaned over and checked his injuries before nodding, "You're healing up nicely, Uchiha-san." Her voice, soft as if talking to a scared child, "I know it's quite late to say this," She stepped backwards and bowed 90 degrees angle, "Thank you for doing so much for the village. And I'm sorry on the behalf of the village that made you suffer so much." She straightened, face melting into a gentle look, "You can take the burden off your shoulders now. You're home. You did a great job."

His throat closed up. He didn't know why those words effected him to this extent but it made his facade shatter. His vision blurred. Something wet ran down to his cheeks. He opened his mouth to say something, but nothing comes out. Itachi blinked rapidly but the soft Pat on his head broke the last shred of control, making the dam break lose. His shoulders shook with muffled cries from his mouth. And last thing he felt was a weight lifted off him as he cried himself to sleep.

∆×∆×∆×∆×∆×∆×∆×∆×∆
KaEl: Sorry for the short update guys. I got tons of Assignments to submit because of this pandemic. Hopefully, Updates would be faster from now on. Thank you for reading and giving your feedback.