chapter 17

Saturday, April 4th, 2020

Despite having a week from hell, I've survived. And the Bon Iver concert with Harry couldn't have come at a better time.

"Tutoring?" my father frowns. "I didn't know you were even thinking about doing that."

How would you? You haven't had a serious conversation with me since the fight!

I'd just informed my parents that I'd be 'tutoring' a girl from school tonight. I had planned on sneaking out but I decided that I was going to need a permanent excuse to escape my house more often without questions.

"Yeah, well, I needed the money," I shrug, slinging my bag over my shoulder. "I should be home by 10. Don't stay up."

I exit the kitchen and quickly stride over to the front door before they can both ridicule me with questions. I didn't need them to be overbearing, not now.

After my terrible session with Mrs Thornbury on Monday, I had been in a bad mood all week. Kennedy had asked me several times why I made her take the long way to biology, secretly avoiding the counsellor's office. I couldn't give Kennedy the truth.

I guess that wasn't anything new at this point though.

I walk down the steps briskly. The autumn air was biting at my arms, despite my denim jacket. I was wearing a black skirt and a Bon Iver t-shirt that I had knotted at my waist, given to me last year from Millie.

Harry was parked towards the end of my street as we had arranged.

"Hall. How are you this cold evening?"

"Excited," I breath, stepping into the passenger seat.

Skinny Love was already playing through the speakers of Harry's car. I couldn't help but smile.

"It amazes me how many people think that Birdy wrote this song," I deadpan. "Hardly any of the credit goes to the legend himself."

Harry scoffs, turning on the engine. "Tell me about it. Do you know how many times I've had to explain that to people?"

"Too many?" I grin.

"Too many," he agrees, nodding his head.

"But I guess it could have also been a blessing for him, right? I mean, the song became pretty big when Birdy sang it."

"True," he nods. "But still, I'll always like this version."

"Of course."

We sit in comfortable silence, allowing us both the time to enjoy the harmonious voice of none other than Bon Iver.

"Growing up, I always used to think that Bon Iver was one person, not a band," Harry speaks, turning into the carpark outside the concert venue.

I playfully slap his arm. "Me too," I laugh.