Chapter 51

Saturday, August 1st, 2020

My bags land against the floorboards with a thud. The entryway had been completely cleaned. I didn't want to think about what it had looked like the last time I was here.

It was weird to be back. I was happy to be home but it felt eerie now. I couldn't help but stare at the corner where Aubrey had stared back at me, unblinking.

"Let me help you with those," mum said, bringing me out of my daze.

"Thanks," I reply numbly as she grabs my bags and walks off towards my room.

My eyes flicker against the wall, noticing the fresh plastered ceiling, the bullet holes no longer present.

I'd just been discharged from hospital. Spending almost a month out of a coma in that bed was suffocating. I'd only ever left the room to have my daily walks and that was barely enough.

I follow mum into my room gingerly, leaning against the doorframe. It still hurt to walk, but I was getting there.

Dad had stepped up his hours at work because mum wanted to become my full time carer whilst I was in the hospital. I loved her but I knew it was partially because of what happened to Nix. She was afraid that she'd almost lost me so she had to take more care of me now.

She starts pulling at my duvet, smoothing out any small lumps. The bed has already been made perfectly. I wonder if this was something she did all the time now when she came home from the hospital at night.

"Mum," I smile. She looks up at me, fluffing my pillows. "Mum. It's all good."

She sighs, sitting down on the bed. "I know. It's just been so quiet in this house for over two months. I'm so glad you're home now."

Some of my things were still packed up in boxes, sitting idly against the wall. For some reason, I didn't feel the need to unpack them.

"We've sold Nix's car," mum blurts. My breath catches and I watch her, surprised.

"I'm sorry, Lon," tears swim in her eyes. "I was just trying to go back to normal and pretend that...I don't know. I'm sorry that I dragged you into it."

"No, it's okay," I nod. "I get that you just wanted things to seem normal. But, thank you. Thank you for selling it."

"Of course," she nods. "Oh, and when you get a chance, you might want to check the garage."