chapter 34

Wednesday, May 13th, 2020

It kept me up all night. It wasn't the confliction that kept me awake but the decision I'd chosen.

I don't think there ever was a decision to make in the first place. Only one option stood out.

Inevitably, I was going to hurt all of them. I didn't want to but it would happen either way. Either I got this over with and pretended that I could live my life without them or they were going to find out the truth and hate me.

I'm running off three hours of sleep when I walk into school. It took me almost half a bottle of concealer to cover the bags under my eyes. I knew I looked like hell, but I didn't care anymore.

Once I reach my locker, I tie up my knotty hair into a messy bun. I check my timetable and sigh.

Maths.

I couldn't face Harry right now. Not when my impending decision was resting heavily on my shoulders.

The library seemed like the safest option. A little studying can take your mind of anything, right?

Right.

I'm avoiding Nix's car again

I'm avoiding Nix's car again. Walking home was the best option. Somehow, even though he had died six months ago, his presence had never been stronger. His hold on me never tighter.

I'd been trying to drive as much as possible. I knew it made mum happy, believing that I was moving on. But I just couldn't do it right now.

The worst about all of this wasn't just what Nix had done. It was the fact that if he hadn't done it I wouldn't have met any of my friends. And I felt sick just thinking about that.

People had lost their lives and I was thinking such sick, twisted thoughts.

I hated Nix. I hated what he did to those innocent students in Winterville. I hated that he still could ruin my life from his grave.

I hated that I was thinking about how lucky I was to have such great friends when the only reason I had ever met them was because of my brother's actions.