chapter 19

Sunday, April 5th, 2020

We drive in silence for about ten minutes. We hadn't spoken a word to each other since the phone call.

My parents had left me a note to say they had gone food shopping so Harry had been able to pick me up out front.

It was clear to me that when I first hopped into his car, Harry had known I'd been crying. Luckily for me, he didn't question it.

I wasn't sure where our destination was but it didn't even matter. I just needed to get out of my house.

I look like a mess. I hadn't had much time to prepare for Harry's arrival. I was wearing my favourite lavender coloured tracksuit set with my hair up in a messy bun, completely unbrushed. I'd barely had time to put on deodorant and brush my teeth, let alone put on an ounce of makeup.

We pull in suddenly to a cemetery and my heart sinks. This was not what I had been expecting. What were we doing here?

Harry doesn't look at me as he reaches into the back seat. I hadn't even noticed the bunch of flowers sitting there until now.

"I, um...I just have to do something," he whispers to me. He pulls on the brim of his cap whilst I nod, understanding that he needed this time alone.

He hops out of the car and I watch his long strides as he passes rows of graves. I expect to completely lose sight of him but he stops, just as he's about to become a blip in the distance.

I hug myself, suddenly feeling guilty. I hadn't even realised that Harry had lost someone. But I guess this was what Kennedy had meant on my first day when she said Harry had a lot going on.

I watch him as he crouches down, gently placing the flowers close to the grave. His palm lands softly on the headstone. I try to read the person's name but it's too far to see.

I think I notice his shoulders begin to shake and a knot forms in my throat. I look away, knowing that he deserved to have some privacy.

I squeeze my eyes shut, leaning back against the headrest.

Here he was, grieving for someone whilst I turned him away last night. It might have been for the greater good, but that didn't mean I didn't feel like shit for it.

The car door suddenly opens and I jump. I hadn't even realised he was walking back.

He climbs into the driver's seat and shuts the door quickly behind him. It was cold today, so he was wearing a navy coat. I've decided that it's my favourite colour on him.

I expect him to turn on the engine but he doesn't. He sits there, turning the keys over and over in his hands.

"I guess you're wanting answers," he whispers.

I shake my head. "No, Harry, I—"

"It's alright. I've been wanting to tell you for awhile."

"Only if you're sure," I whisper, fiddling with my hands.