chapter 35

Thursday, May 14th, 2020

I didn't think it would possible to survive off three hours of sleep. I was wrong. I'd just survived off none.

The aftermath of the conversation with Harry left me feeling a different type of exhausted. I didn't feel like sleeping so I paced my room all night, suddenly wondering when exactly my life would fall apart.

I didn't want to go to school today but I didn't have a choice. My parents couldn't find out why I wanted to stay home, so the only way forward was to pretend to act normal.

I glance at myself in the mirror and flinch. Usually, it would be because of the uncanny resemblance to Nix. But today, it was because of how terrible I looked.

I tie my hair up, forgetting the last time I even washed it in the first place. My eyes are so bloodshot that it looks like I'm a crackhead.

But I didn't care anymore. I felt completely passionless. I was going to lose every last good thing in my life.

Why even bother trying.

Self-pity was exhausting

Self-pity was exhausting. I wish I could get out of my head sometimes.

I was running late for school again which meant that I had to take Nix's car. Otherwise, I was going to get a detention and I did not need to explain that to my parents.

I'd been about to leave this morning when I noticed Harry's car out the front. But I knew he wouldn't wait forever to see if I was coming out. Eventually, five minutes before the warning bell was going to ring, he left.

He'd messaged me several times late last night but I hadn't read any of them. Kennedy had tried to facetime me with Syd. Five times. It hurt me to decline each one.

I slam the car door shut. The car park was nearly empty now, except for the few latecomers who were dwardling inside, ready to start their day.

I lock Nix's car, throwing my backpack over my shoulders and briskly walking inside.

The final bell rings and I curse. Let's just hope that Mrs Coplin was in a good mood today.

I rush towards my locker, pulling out my laptop as I go. The quicker I got everything together the quicker I could get to class.