Chapter 2 - Toying with the Enemy

The following morning at dawn Silvana and two men from the queen's guard waited in the cold. They were mounted up, a fourth saddled horse held by a stable boy, stood nearby. After ten minutes' waiting without any sign of the prince, impatience seethed in Silvana and she felt her eyebrows drawing together.

She called over one of the stable boys loitering by the wall. In a hushed whisper she gave him some instructions. As the boy scampered off, she smiled to herself. At least she could have a bit of fun at the prince's expense.

A few minutes later, the courtyard outside the palace filled with servants and any other early risers discovered in the nearby city streets. An expectant hush fell over the crowd as their princess guided her dun mare over to them and motioned for silence.

"His Excellency, the imperial prince, wishes to travel through our beautiful country." she proclaimed, by way of introduction.

The crowd cheered for the prince.

When silence returned she continued, "He also wishes to learn about our customs, would it not be appropriate to give him a proper Kingston send-off?"

The gathering roared out their appreciation, many clapping. A banjo struck up a tune from somewhere in the crowd and then everyone began to sing a raucous tavern song.

The pauper boy and the cobbler's son

Are travlin' down to Kingston

The farmer's lad left his milkmaid sad

For he's travlin' down to Kingston

Kingston with its women

Pretty, pretty women

Founts of ale and heaps of coin

Shiny, shiny coinage

In Kingston, land of opportunity.

They travel far, these country lads

Travlin' down to Kingston

They walk for miles, gather dust and grime

On their travels down to Kingston

Kingston with its women

Pretty, pretty women

Founts of ale and heaps of coin

Shiny, shiny coinage

In Kingston, land of opportunity.

Wide-eyed wonder, gaping mouths

They've made it down to Kingston

Heading to the nearest tavern

They've made it down to Kingston

Halfway through the third verse, the imperial prince stumbled through the palace doors, still stuffing his shirttails into his trousers. Unable to contain themselves, the crowd bellowed out hysterical laughter. Silvana averted her face to hide her glee and guided her horse to where the prince was mounting his steed.