Chapter 10 - The Emperor's Announcement

Time passed and Ned attended to his grandfather. The emperor made it clear he wanted Ned to take a more active role in imperial tasks. Ned became the emperor's personal aide, running errands on his grandfather's behalf and attending the council meetings as the emperor's eyes and ears. Every evening he wrote up extensive reports for his grandfather and spent hours discussing important matters with him.

When the question of the ambassador to Oruna, to re-establish ties with that nation came into question, Ned did everything he could to convince the council he was the best candidate for the mission. However, the emperor opposed Ned's wish and insisted another, more experienced ambassador take the appointment. Angry and resentful Ned turned all his efforts to his work, burying himself in the endless reports and conversations with the emperor.

One evening, the emperor laid a hand over Ned's. It was the first time he'd done so since the evening when Ned had moved into his new apartments. The young man took note and looked up into the old man's soft brown eyes.

"Ned, my dear boy," he began. "I understand your disappointment but I have asked you to stay because I need your help here. This whole empire is teetering on the brink of dissolution and I need your level-headedness to ensure that doesn't come to pass."

Ned sighed. His voice rasped when he replied, "Yes grandfather. I'll do my best to help you."

"There's my good boy," the emperor continued. "Now, tomorrow I would like to make an important announcement. I want you to pay particular attention to your uncles and cousins when I make the statement because I'm certain some of them will give away their displeasure at what I have to say. I would like you to inform me who disagrees with me."

When Ned assented, the old man added, "There is an outfit the tailor will have set out for you in your rooms. Wear that one tomorrow. It is of utmost importance that you are dressed just right for this occasion."

Ned nodded.

"Ah, Ned, another thing: the painter brought in his work this morning. I haven't had the opportunity to take a good look at it yet. He left it over there on the table beside the desk."

Ned crossed the room and brought back the small painting. He took a quick glance at it, humpfed and handed it to his grandfather.

"it doesn't meet with your approval?" the old man asked with a wry smile.

Ned sighed, weighing his words before answering, "It doesn't capture her essence. There is so much to her. She is more than the glimpse this painting offers. I suppose if she could have sat for the artist, rather than him copying an existing image, he would have been able to paint her. I also find the regalia of the Orundian people is mostly ridiculous. She is far more stunning in plain clothes that allow her natural beauty to shine forth."

The old man chuckled and Ned realised how much he'd said. "It sounds like she'll do just fine and I think she'll be good for you too, Ned. You go rest and I'll see you first thing in the morning."

The following day, the emperor rose from his bed for the first time in months. Ned attended on him, dressed him and helped him prepare for his announcement. In full regal attire, the emperor hobbled into his throne-room leaning on Ned's arm. Once the emperor was seated, Ned made his way to his place, off to one side of the gathering of nobles. Standing aside, Ned positioned himself to get a good view of his extended family. He had a duty to fulfil.

Soft muttering reduced in a gradual decrescendo until a hush fell over the gathering. Only when it was possible to hear a pin drop, did the emperor speak.

"My dear children, the time has come for me to choose a successor. As you are all aware, no cure can be found for my ailment. Besides, I am too old now to bother with the awful crises you bring upon this empire."