Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I stood in front of the door of the giant mansion my brother previously owned. The doors were absolutely enormous and I could practically smell the money radiating off of it.

Oh, what being broke can do to you.

"Here are the keys Miss Y/n." Namjoon hands me the keys along with the rest of the signed paperwork. "Now you have gone over the details of the property assessment right?" he asks just to make sure.

"I..um..I believe so?" I reply cheekily. I may or may not have just skimmed the documents and signed at the end. Oops.

Namjoon looks at me with slight concern but then proceeds to hand me the rest of the papers, "You are to manage and take care of the house as well as assume ownership of his hybrid and-"

Wait a minute.

"Did you say hybrid?" I ask.

"Yes, his hybrid along with any and all possessions inside the house. That will be all Miss." Namjoon bows his head before walking away and eventually departing in his car.

Maybe I signed those papers too quickly.

It's too late to back out now.

I take a deep breath before opening the doors.

The house was simply stunning. It was as if I walked into a royal palace. A person like me could never afford something like this. Each room was decorated uniquely and to a certain taste of the previous owner. I avoided the master bedroom feeling a bit uncomfortable with the moody colors and settled with a guest bedroom that had a very simplistic, yet modern feel.

The house was oddly quiet as I walked around exploring all the different rooms.

"Isn't there a hybrid here?" I asked myself, continuing to look around. I guess he or she will come out when they want to. I shrug my shoulders and head to the kitchen where I started to prepare dinner.

After taking my time enjoying the cool features this house had and enjoying my meal I sat down next to the television. There was an unsettling feeling inside my stomach.

And it was not the lasagna I had.

I try to focus on the show that was going on, but the back of my mind couldn't rest. What if the hybrid left? Worry washes over me as I start thinking about what the court would do if they found out I had lost the hybrid on the first day. The sun starts to set as nightfall begins. Finally overcome with stress, I get and start to search the entire mansion.

Room by room I look in every closet and behind every door looking for any sign of life.

No no no. I can't lose a hybrid!

I finally end up in the master bedroom again. I shiver a little bit as I make my way around towards the couple doors. The first one was another boring closet. No hybrid here. The second one surprisingly isn't another closet. How odd.

I push the door harder and it finally releases tension. A gust of dust and air blows in my face as I cough.

Books. There were books everywhere. Bookshelves upon bookshelves the door opened up into a large library. Spiderwebs stretched across the top shelves as I duck under all the webs.

I slowly walk through all the aisles. Seojoon must've really liked to read.

A loud bang echoes from behind me. I scream in surprise as I quickly turn around towards the sound. Several bookshelves laid on top of each other. I walk closer to the mess.

The lights are dimmed out making it hard to see, but I don't mistake the low growl coming from under the fallen shelves.

My eyes widen.

"Are you okay?" I ask, stepping closer but another growl and hiss comes from the pile.

I stand still for a second. You can hear the heavy breathing from under the shelves and slight movement struggling from underneath. The figure was hunched over trying to prevent the bookshelves from collapsing entirely.

I take a deep breath, hoping I won't get eaten alive.

"My name is Kim Y/n......Seojoon passed away and left this house to me." No response comes back. "I know you've been living here for the past couple months without an owner."

I didn't wanna say I now owned him . What kinda first impression would that be???

"I...um...let me help you. I promise I won't do any harm." I wait for a second before a low voice responds.

"Get. These. Off. Of. Me."

I rush over to the pile of shelves quickly pushing one shelf off after another. The load gets lighter and lighter until the remaining shelves are lifted up by a figure underneath and thrown to the side. I shield my face from the extra books falling out from the shelves. The figure takes a few steps back trying to hide in the darkness. I notice him holding tightly onto his left arm while leaning back allowing the wall to support his weight.

"You're hurt..." I say softly as I try to look at the creature. The silhouette of his tail swung back and forth and his ears perked up attentively. He panted hard trying to regain his breath; his chest heaving up and down and his head laid back against the wall. His feline like eyes bore into mine watching my every movement down to my shaky breath. I find myself staring for a bit too long before another growl comes from the hybrid.

There's no way he'll let me help his wound. Not when I can't even get close. I think of what to do.

"Are you hungry?" I ask hesitantly, "I made extra food for dinner. I don't know what you've been eating these months, but I'm sure you would like it." His eyes look me up and down cautiously deciding whether or not to trust me. The hybrid had smelled the food for a while now; his mouth was watering only a couple hours ago.

A slow but slight nod comes from the creature as my eyes light up with success.

"Come on! It's still warm."