Chapter 6 - Devil Duo

Sitting around the dining table we were all waiting for twins to join us before we start eating. It is new for me, the way this family always eat together, love and care for each other.  

"Everyone, let's play a game before dinner," Tyler announced as he arrived at the table along with Tony. When he noted that no one was interested, he bargained. "The winner can eat our dinner," he pointed at  himself and his twin.

Parker and Max  now began asking them about the game while the older boys were still uninterested. Tyler asked me if I was interested and although it made me happy that they included me, I denied.

Tony scoffed, "Of course she won't. She's a girl, after all. And like all girls she's a coward, scared of losing."

He did not say that. 

If there is one thing I can't tolerate it's Sexism, "I'll do it." 

"Huh?"

"I'll play the game," I said again with more confidence.

"Great!" Tyler exclaimed and shared a look with Tony before continuing, "So, all you have to do is, place both your hands on table, palms down and we'll put glass full of water on them. Whoever will balance it for longest time will win."

Parker's eyes widened as if he realized something, "Uh, I think I'll pass."

The twins smirked while Max shrugged and placed his hands on the table as instructed by Tyler. I was suspicious because of their behaviour but followed as well. the twins placed the water on both our hands.

"Stupids," Tony said and high-fived Tyler. 

Max and I looked at each other as we realized that we'd just been pranked. We can't move our hands without spilling the water all over us. "I think we'll take this," Tony said and took plate served before Max with him to his seat while Tyler took mine. 

The rest of the boy were laughing to the point where tears formed in the corner of their eyes. They all started eating, occasionally glancing and snickering at us, to which Max grumbled in response. He was scowling at the boys the whole time. I was trying to figure out a way to escape this situation without getting soaked.

"Uh, guys you are forgetting something," Max eyed the glasses on his hands and called out to his brothers as they all started leaving after finishing their dinner. As for twins, after finishing their as well as our dinner.

"No, we aren't." Tyler smirked and went upstairs like others. 

"Dang it," Max groaned and kept muttering profanities at Tyler and Tony. I looked at him, trying to control my laughter but a chuckle escaped from my lips. 

"You are laughing at me too," Max whined looking at me with a fake hurt expression and pouted. He's so much like Violet. I laughed harder at his silliness and after some time he joined me too. Our laughter died down and we fell into an awkward silence.

Max sighed, "I'm sorry."

"Huh?" I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

"I'm sorry," he said again, "We all have been jerks to you since you arrived here, but it has always been us nine and then suddenly out of nowhere our parents told us that they are adopting a girl, just like that. And when you came here, I saw you as an intruder, I guess it's hard for all of us to accept a new member in our family. I know it's no excuse for us for saying that you are not our sister and all the crap we said but I want you to know that I didn't mean it and I'm really sorry for saying that. Can we start fresh?"

My heart was beating faster and I felt like something is flying inside me. His speech gave me a feeling of love, acceptance. A hope that everything will finally be okay I'll be okay. His few words have a greater impact on me than he can ever imagine. He said the exact words I needed at the moment.

"Thank you," I whispered, "And yes." I smiled at him.

His eyes gleamed like a child who got a candy. "Okay, My name is Max. I'm fifteen about to be sixteen years old. I'm a sophomore and I love football." He said. "Oh, and I'm your brother. Your turn." He grinned.

My smile after hearing the last part was so big that my cheeks were starting to ache. "I'm Sophia. Same age as you and a sophomore too. I love art as well as soccer."

Max smiled and nodded. "I would shake hands but..." he said and his gaze travelled downwards to glare at the cups placed on both of our hands.

"You two are still here?" A voice came from behind us. We both turned around and saw Stephen coming to us. "It's freaking midnight, you both have school tomorrow go to sleep. I don't want mom and dad eating my head because of you people." He shooed us off upstairs after removing the cups from our hands.

Max chuckled on our way upstairs, "That's Stephen's way of showing care, by taking our parents name." He shook his head still smiling. "Well, goodnight," he wished as my room came.

"Goodnight," I replied and he went down the hallway to his room.

I went to lie down on my bed replaying my conversation with Max over and over in my mind. It gave some sort of comfort and happiness. He said that Stephen shows care by taking Jake and Violet's name.

I remembered the events of today morning. How Stephen yelled at me saying that Violet and Jake would be worried. Is it possible that he cares?

Happiness erupts inside at the mere thought. It may be a false hope but it's the only thing I'm getting right now.

-STRENGTH- 

Hey Guys!

How's the chapter?

I'm extremely sorry for the really really late update. I just kept writing and erasing it.

What do you think about the Twins' prank?

Any opinion on Max and Stephen?

Love, Eternal_18