Chapter 14 - Out To A Dinner

It was a few moments later that I heard rushed footsteps approaching us, "What's happening here? It smells like something is burning," Stephen stopped where he was when he saw the sight of smoke slowly swallowing the kitchen.

 Cole, who had entered with Stephen, rushed towards the microwave and switched it off before it caught fire. The six of us were paralyzed on our spot, in shock of what happened and what could've happened. 

"Are you people out of your minds!?" Stephen bellowed. "What were you even doing in here!?"

"Is everyone fine?" Cole asked in a calm voice. A worried frown was etched on his forehead.

"Yeah," Ryan replied. "No need to worry this isn't a big deal," he said casually.

"Not a big deal!? You guys could've burnt down the whole kitchen or who knows maybe the whole house!" Stephen yelled even louder than before.

"Stop exaggerating! We just thought we'd bake you a cake to show how grateful whatsoever we are of you!" Max exclaimed pointing his finger towards Stephen.

Stephen eyed us all, "Bake a cake?" he asked incredulously before raising his voice again, "Has any of you ever even boiled water in your entire life!?"

"Hey, calm down man," Cole who had returned to Stephen's side, put a hand on his shoulder and said.

Stephen exhaled heavily and sat at the dining table behind him with his elbows on the table and his head resting on his palms. The silence that followed was thick. Parker, Max and I went sat at the dining table, Cole took out the cake, twins plopped themselves on the barstools in the kitchen all while not making a single noise more than necessary.   

"I can't let anything happen to you guys," he muttered and then looked up like he realized that we could hear him. He cleared his throat and continued his sentence, "Or mom and dad will kill me."

Max's words repeated in my head, 'that's Stephen's way of showing care, by taking our parents' name.' A light chuckle escaped everyone at his words including me. We all knew those words well, I guess. 

"You guys know that I'm not eating that, right?" Stephen said pointing at the cake which was now on the table, in front of him. My gaze fell on the cake, I don't think we can even call it that. It was pure black with cracks across it. And it seemed far from soft and spongy to say the least.

"Yeah, we kinda figured that," Tyler laughed sheepishly while scratching the back of his head.

"Good, now everyone go get ready we are going out to eat," Stephen ordered. The boys all cheered and went up to their rooms.

"Sorry, we didn't mean to scare you," I said to Stephen.

"I know," he replied with a soft smile.

-STRENGTH-

We all split in two cars with Stephen, Parker, Max and me in one and others in the second car. I sat beside Max in the back and Parker sat in the passenger seat.

"Hey Stephen...you know I was wondering...I mean there's this Aiden guy in my grade," Max started.

"I know, he's throwing a party. And before you ask, no, you're not going," Stephen interrupted looking at Max through rear view mirror.

"Grumpy old man," Max scoffed. "How did you know what I was going to say anyways?" he rolled his eyes.

"I asked him the same thing this afternoon." I told Max.

"He isn't letting you go either? See! He is such a grouch! At least let her go. She's new here, how is she supposed to make friends if she doesn't meet anyone. You don't have to say no to everything, you know!?" Max rambled being his normal dramatic self.

"Actually...he said yes."

Stephen held the steering with one hand while the other went straight to his face as he facepalmed and shook his head. I think he already anticipated the outburst that followed a few seconds later.

"What!?" Max yelled. "You're letting her go but not me!? How in the world is this fair? Holy fudge! You don't like me, do you? You've always hated me! I should've known!"

"Just shut up already." Stephen grumbled now massaging his forehead.

"No I won't. Why are you so mean?" Max scoffed.

"Because."

"Because what?"

Stephen glared at Max through the rearview mirror, "Because I'm the boss here."

Max rolled his eyes, "I'm so gonna tell this to mom."

"Grow up, you're such a baby Max." Parker snickered.

"Am not!" Max retorted.

"Are too."

"Am not." 

Stephen sighed defeatedly as both of them kept bickering but lucky for both him and me, we arrived at the restaurant. The others were also exiting their car when we met with them.

"So Sophia, this is Wilson's favorite restaurant, Robbin Hood." Said Max as he slung his arm around me.

We all went in and a waiter guided us to a booth, we settled on our seats and started going through the menu while the waiter went to get us drinks.

"Why do you guys even bother looking at menu?"

I looked up and saw a lady standing near our table and smiling. "I know you're gonna order the same things as always," she laughed. She seemed to be in her early forties. She was a brunette and her eyes were a striking blue.

"May!" Ryan stood up and hugged her, as did the other boys with bright smiles lighting their faces.

"And who might this pretty girl be?" she turned towards me.

"I'm Sophia," I stood up and extended my hand towards her.

She shook my hand with a smile, "I am the owner of this restaurant, May."

And for a second I thought I saw tears in her eyes.

-STRENGTH-

Hey Guys!

Finally a new chapter!!

I know it's superrr late but I was so hung up on Naruto, I didn't have time for anything else.

Anyone here watches/ watched Naruto? 

If you do you'll understand what I'm saying. I mean it's just soooo awesome!!!

BTW Can anyone here relate with Max?

And last time I asked you guys your age so I guess I should tell you mine too... I'm gonna be 15 this December.

Love, Eternal_18