4 | Past

Yes I've got issues but you got 'em too.

- l i l a -

After leaving with mom, the first few years with my new family were amazing.

Even though I was a bit saddened that Patrick and mom had sent Daniel to a boarding since there were no good school in the small town we lived in.

But deep down I knew he was a genius for his age and deserved the best studies so I never complained.

Well for me, I never cared about school or anything.

My favourite part of the year was when Daniel would come for holidays and we all were together.

It was perfect.

Little did I know everything was going to change soon.

I met him for the first time when I was eight. He wore the coolest smile and talked like the sweetest person to ever exist on earth.

I liked him instantly. He would always play with me, bring me gifts and treat me like a princess.

However, it was a month later I saw his true side. The real monster hidden behind that false facade.

That day he came to our house when mom and Patrick were not home and I was all alone.

The naive eight year old me didn't suspect anything wrong until he slapped me.

He pushed me hard and then started hitting me until I was unconsciousness. I didn't know what was happening. What I did to deserve this torture.

That was the first time it happened.

After that it started happening again and again. It became his regular job. He would come at times when my parents were not at home and beat me to unconsciousness.

The kicks and punches were generally delivered at places which were hidden by my clothes, so that no one could see the bruises.

He would wake me up when mom and Patrick were about to come back home and pretend as if we were playing. He persuaded me not to tell anyone.

"Even if you tell no one will believe you Lila. And you know what will happen next? Your punishment will become harsher the next time."

That was what he always said.

For some reason, I was thankful that he would just hit me a few times and tried to do anything else.

But it was way too early to assume that.

It was when I was 10, four years ago. Daniel was not well and mom and Patrick had gone to visit him for a few days. And he agreed to take care of me. He took me to his apartment.

To say I was scared would be an understatement.

I was petrified.

The first two days went comfortably. He didn't do anything other than a few slaps.

It was on the third day of my stay when he came home drunk and annoyed.