27 | Truth

I woke up in an unfamiliar room, darkness surrounding me. I was sitting on a chair, my hands and legs tied.

'Where in hell was I?' I thought trying to recall yesterday's events.

I remembered having an argument with my father, running away, waiting for Dan and then suddenly someone had hit me on the head and I'd passed out.

I tried to break free my hand but in vain, the ropes were too tightly tied.

"Don't even try. It won't work," Someone said. Even though I couldn't see their face in the dark, the familiarity of the voice scared me.

"Who are you? What place is this? And why am I here?" I asked.

"Too many questions," The person replied laughing.

That laugh, I have heard it before.

"Who are you?" I asked again but this time instead of ignoring my question, the person switched on the lights making me close my eyes at the sudden brightness in the room.

When I opened them again, I came face to face with the last person I wanted to see at that moment.

"Mia?" I asked, trying to cover up the shock on my face while she just smirked in response.

"I swear to God Mia if this is some other sick joke of yours, even I don't know what I'll do," I snapped. "Untie me now."

She was about to say something when her phone pinged. I knew it was some voice message as she played it.

Boss won't be able to come there for a while. Don't do anything stupid and hands off.

Boss? What the hell was actually going on?

For some reason I was sure that the person was talking about me.

"Will someone explain to me what's going on here?" I shouted.

"Watch that tone of yours. This is not your fucking home," She snarled.

"That's exactly what I want to know. What is this place and why in hell I'm here?"

"It won't take a genius to realize that you have been kidnapped."

"What do you want? Listen Mia, if you are doing this to get money from my brothers then let me tell you it's really a very shitty idea. You would probably get more money if you'd kidnapped yourself."

"You really are the dumbest person I know Lila."

"Excuse me? You want to repeat that."

She ignored me and continued with her nonsense.

"You seriously think that your brothers don't care about you when you are their whole world. Frankly, I'm worthless in front of you."

"I believe you are forgetting that you are talking about the same people who didn't want me back then."

"There was a reason for whatever they did," Mia said sitting on the floor in front of me. "Now that you are here and we have so much time, let's have a little chat, shall we?"

"There's a reason, isn't that what everyone says," I said irritatingly. "You know what? I'm not a bit interested in your chats. I'd be more interested if you tell me that reason."

"I'll definitely tell you everything," She replied. "But before I tell you the reason, you should know what your brother's profession is, what your family is involved in."

"Business?"

"Correct, it's business but what kind of business?"

I thought for a while but nothing came to mind. All I knew was that it was some sort of family business.

"What happened? Don't know?" She smirked. "Ever heard about Mafia, Lila?"

My eyes widened. I knew what exactly was she going to say next, the sane gossips I heard everyday at school.

"Yes, your brothers work in the Mafia. And not only do they work there but Victor is actually the head of the Italian Mafia."

I waited for her to shout 'just kidding' and then suddenly burst out laughing to make a fool out of me but the serious look on her face didn't falter even for a second.

I wanted to ignore what she had said just like I'd been doing back at school but deep down I knew that Mia was not one of those desperate girls at school who went around spreading rubbish about my brothers just for a bit attention.

Why would she need something she already had in excess?

And no matter how much I hated it but Mia was the person who had actually spent the most time with my brothers, even more than me and the harsh reality was that no one knew them better than her.

I didn't say anything, instead just waited for her to continue.

"Now coming to the reason. Your family is involved in the Mafia and as a result they have lots of enemies. The reason why you were sent with your mother back then was to protect you from those enemies, more specifically the Russian Mafia."

"You. . .you are lying. If my brothers really cared then they wouldn't treat me like they do now. . .like they don't want me," I said, mentally trying to find a reason to deny everything she said while she just laughed.

"This is mafia we are talking about, Lila, where even a single weakness of someone can become his biggest downfall."

She stood up and started slowly pacing back and forth in front of me.

"Do you really think they don't know how much you suffered last time they had sent you away. For months, you wouldn't sleep or eat properly and all you did was to cry asking your mother to take you back. With the business your brothers are involved in, they themselves don't know when they have to send you away again to some safe place."

She turned around to look directly into my eyes.

"You think that your brothers don't love you because they don't show you any affection or care but in real, this is the way they were actually brought up. Your brother do love you, Lila. They love you so much that they would let you hate them forever instead of clearing all the misunderstandings and making you go through all those sufferings again when they have to send you away."

This was all too much to take in. While I was going through what Mia has said, something clicked in my mind.

"Why do the Russians specifically want me?" I asked her. 

When I went away with my mother, I was four while the twins were nine, not old enough to protect themselves. If it was all for safety, then why did they not go with us?

"Turns out you're not that dumb after all," She replied tilting her head a bit. "Yes, you're right. The Russians specifically want you. Neither the twins nor any other brother of yours but you."

"Why?"

"Looks like it's story time."

Only if I knew that this story was going to change my whole life.

~

Are you ready for it?

Vote
C

omment

Share

<3