33 | Promise

It felt as if my whole world was turned upside down when I first saw Daniel laying on the bed looking no better than a corpse.

What was more painful was the fact that he was in that condition because of me.

No matter what he mistakenly did, I still couldn't forget the fact that he had been my bestfriend for so many years. He was the the one who was always there for me when I had no one. And now he almost got himself killed to protect me.

"When will he wake up?" I  remember asking Xavier who was standing behind me, when I first saw Dan. My eyes couldn't move away from his face even for a single second.

The more I stared at him, the more my heart felt heavy and the more I felt the urge to cry.

"The doctor said they have put him on an induced coma to fasten the recovery. He will wake up after fully recovering," Xavier had answered while I nodded in understanding.

After that day, I came to his room everyday to talk to him. To tell him how I spent my day, how my brothers had been treating me like a princess and how I couldn't wait for him to wake up so we can again have fun like we used to.

But today was different. Today I was greeted by an empty bed with a small note on its side.

I picked up the little piece of paper with shivering hands and read the words scribbled on it with a shaky voice.

Lila

I know what I did, even though unknowingly, still it can't be easily forgotten but I just want to tell you that I'm really sorry.

Now I have said it once, I won't say it again so you better note the words. Just kidding.

And I even know it's terrible of me to leave like this. Call me a coward but I really can't gather up the courage to face anyone or anything right now.

But that doesn't mean I'll won't be back. I'll definitely soon be there to irritate the shit out of you.

Wait for me.

Which I know you would otherwise how will you survive those horrific tests without me xD

-Dan, the smarty pants.

By the time I finished reading it, tears were rolling down my cheeks.

"He needed it," Xavier who came with me like every other day said calmly.

"I know."

I,out of all the people, knew how much of a break Daniel needed. We both were kept in dark and we both were lied to. The difference was that my family concealed the truth to keep me safe while his did to use him as a pawn in their revenge.

And not to forget how he was mentally and emotionally influenced by John to the point where he couldn't figure out what was right and what was wrong.

"I-," I knew Xavier had been willing to ask me something for a few days but was hesitant.

"Go for it," I said hoping to encourage him a bit.

"Mia told you everything?"

I didn't say anything. Rather, I simply nodded.

"We never wanted to hide anything from you Lila. It was just. . .it felt as if that was the only way to protect you."

I turned to face Xavier. "I know and I understand."

If someone told me a few weeks ago that Xavier and I will have an heart to heart talk, I would have laughed till my belly hurt.

But here we were.

Because it was different now. I knew the reasons why my brothers left me that day. I know why they treated me the way they did. And I finally knew the secrets they were hiding and why.

It wasn't their fault at all. They just did what they felt would keep me safe.

But there was one person who needed to be blamed, my dad, and there was no way I would forgive him after knowing what he did. What he did years ago was unacceptable and I, being his daughter, myself feel ashamed of his sadistic actions. He was actually the cause of everything.

Patrick, even though, was the one who was wronged back then but he became a villain when he decided to involve kids in it. If he so desperately wanted revenge, he could've just killed my dad and all the people involved in that incident. That would have ended it once and for all.

Mia, on the other hand, was the biggest victim of this rivalry as she lost her biggest support, her parents. I was once in a similar situation so I can imagine how she would've felt. But this simply can't excuse the crimes she committed. She could have tried to move on and live a better life here with us but she chose to destroy everything with her sick desire for revenge.

Thinking all of this made me remember the question I wanted to ask my brothers for a long time now.

"Where's Patrick, John and Mia?"

"Dead," Xavier said in a monotone voice with a straight face. Looking at him, I knew better than to ask more.

"And. . .Dad?"

"Gone."

"What?"

"Victor cut all ties with him before we came to the warehouse. He was the reason for all the mishaps and tragedies in our lives. So he should also pay for it instead of living a happy and respected life. We will never contact him again. Neither will we allow him to do so," He elaborated. "Vic sent him to some isolated place. Let him suffer alone and reflect on his mistakes."

I sighed and once again got lost in my thoughts when a deep familiar voice pulled me out of my trance.

"You can't alter the past Lila. Neither can you determine the future. So it's better to focus on the present and live it upto the brim."

Victor entered the room followed by rest of my brothers.

I nodded noting his words in my mind.

"I will do so if you guarantee me that, no matter what, you all will always be a part of that present."

All of my brothers smiled before Xander pulled us all in a group and they shouted in unison.

"We promise."

"I promise too."

Now this is what you call a real ending.

[ T H E   E N D ]

*drum rolls*

I did it.

My first book is finally over🎉🎉

Thank you every single one of you who had taken out their time to read my book and supported me throughout it.

Meet y'all on the next exciting journey.

Till then

Bye!