~13~ My Best Friend

Cameron POV
~Edited~

I honestly thought this was a dream.

I knew Elizabeth had been cheating on me, but with my own best friend?

It makes sense why she didn't seem phased about the breakup, she already had another date lined up.

I'm honestly not even that mad that she cheated because I expected that. I'm just mad that it was with my best friend.

Carter Hearst.

My football buddy.

My oldest friend.

One of the only people I genuinely cared about.

And he stabbed me in the back.

I thought we were closer than that.

"CAMERON!"

I was snapped back into reality when I heard Anna calling my name. For a second I thought I had accidentally crashed us, but thankfully I was still driving well, even in la-la land.

"Sorry Anna, I was just thinking," I said to her, maybe a little too forcefully. She didn't deserve for me to be rude to her, she didn't do anything wrong.

"Yeah no, I get that... I just...nevermind."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said it like that. What's up?"

"I don't blame you for being upset, it's just that I had a whole conversation with you and you didn't hear any of it."

"And what was that conversation about?"

At this point, Elizabeth had gotten into the part of the city with all the stores and restaurants and there would be fewer places for us to park there so we pulled over to listen for any new information.

"Oh, you know... Just the fact that you shouldn't be affected by this because she never really deserved you. And if Carter really was your best friend, then he wouldn't have done this to you. Seriously, don't beat yourself up over it."

Alright, first of all, I'm not an emotional guy. I hate talking about my emotions. To anyone. I think most guys are like that honestly... what I'm trying to say is normally I would've just brushed it off and tried to move the conversation along, so when I started telling Anna what I was feeling at the moment I think it shocked me more than it shocked her.

"I just... I don't even care that she cheated it's just the fact that she cheated with him. He and I have been through everything together, you know? We lived through most of elementary, middle, and high school together. We knew each other even before Elizabeth came into our lives and I just can't believe he'd do something like that to me. He knew how much I liked her and he didn't even give a fuck!"

I slammed my fist into the steering wheel after my little rant.

Anna didn't say anything the whole time, she just stared at me and let me finish.

After I had noticeably calmed down Anna did something that I wasn't expecting. She reached over the center console, wrapped her arms around my neck, and pulled me into a hug.

My body didn't fully register what was happening, so at first, I just let her hug me, arms limp. After a while I hugged her back and we just sat like that for a little while, hugging in her car.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

"I just feel like I've lost all the people I care about and that I thought cared about me in my life other than my family members." I randomly blurted out after some time had passed.