The Double Trouble in the Panhandle

I woke up to my phone ringing at an ungodly hour. I groaned and looked at it. Stupid telemarketers. I hung up on the unknown caller and went back to sleep. 

My alarm went off what felt like two seconds later but was really an hour later. I got up, showered, brushed my teeth, got my hair in order, and got dressed. I don't have a super strict dress code so I try to dress like Booth because he recommended that I try to look nice. I chose a light blue button-down, black trousers, a black tie, and a suit jacket. According to the weather, it's not the warmest outside. My phone buzzed with a good morning text from Sweets like it does every morning for the past week and I smiled a little. 

Sweets: Good morning Piper! I hope you slept well. Can I pick you up on my way to work? 

I could just imagine the smile that he had on. My bedroom door opened. I turned and saw my mum. 
"Good morning!" I smiled at her. 
"Good morning my dear! There's breakfast downstairs for you," She said with a smile. I went to her and hugged her. 
"Thank you maman," I said and she let go of me and started to shoo me to the stairs. 
"I love your hugs Piper but I don't want you to be late. Go and eat," She said. I smiled. 
"I love you too mum," I said and went downstairs. I sat at the table and answered Sweets. 

Piper: Good morning Sweets, I could've slept better, and sure :). Did you sleep well?

Sweets: I'm sorry to hear about your night and I did. I'll be there in about ten minutes, make sure to eat something okay?

Piper: I'm eating as we speak. Well, text

Sweets: Good, see you soon!

Piper: See you soon

I finished eating, filled up my water bottle and waited for Sweets. He came and I put on my shoes. Shiny black dress shoes. I got in the car with a smile and Sweets and I said good morning to each other. Sweets started to drive after I did up my seatbelt. 

"You look nice," He said glancing at me. I smiled a little. 
"Thank you. As do you. I haven't heard from Booth or Brennan on any cases yet. Have you?" I asked looking at him. He was looking at the road. 
"I haven't but maybe nothing sparked their attention? Are you warm enough?" Sweets asked. 
"I am and if they don't have a case then I might get to spend the day with you," I said that and Sweets kind of smiled to himself. 
"In that case, I kind of hope that they don't have anything," He said. We kept talking the whole way there and when we saw Booth and Brennan standing outside, I knew that they had something. Sweets took my hand in his while he parked. He looked at me and smiled a little. 
"I'll miss you today," He said softly. 
"I'll miss you too," I replied and we got out. 

Four hours later, Booth Brennan and I were walking through the fricking desert towards the Oklahoma/Texas border. I took my jacket off as soon as we got off the airplane. 

We approached two gentlemen in uniforms. 
"That must be them there," Booth said, "near that big piece of nothing." 
"According to my GPS this is about where Texas turns into Oklahoma," Brennan said. 
"Oh great. Right in the middle of a jurisdictional pissing contest," Booth said and I smiled at that. What? It's a little funny. Booth took some of Brennan's water and called out to two men. 
"Hey!" He called. 
"Hey. Are y'all with the FBI?" One asked. 
"Yes, I am special agent Seely Booth, this is doctor Temperance Brennan from the Jeffersonian and this is special agent in training Piper Bowen," Booth introduced us. 
"Welcome to Oklahoma," The gentleman in the darker brown uniform said with a smile tipping his hat. 
"Welcome to Texas," The other in the more tan uniform said like he was correcting the other. 
"Guys, welcome to the United States of America." Booth said under his breath. 
"Where are the remains please?" Brennan asked and the officer in the tan uniform pointed beside the machine. It looks like it's an oil thing. Y'know, the machines that get the oil out of the ground. I don't know what it's called but you get the picture. Brennan went over to the two skeletons in the dirt and I looked around. I really only half listened to them. I noticed the dirt access road to our right and a whole lot of nothing.