Arisha

The sun had barely risen and everyone was awake and excited. Sapphire Mountain loomed above the Plain of Mist about two to three miles ahead of them and the crew prepared to lower their sails. When they were a few hundred yards from the base of the great promontory, the sails were completely lowered, allowing the Queen of the Mist to coast gently to a stop at its base. Everyone, crew included, debarked and secured their boat.

There were two ways to reach the summit. One was a long winding tunnel within the interior of the mountain that led to the heart of Arisha's temple. This was the access used by the mole contingent which guarded the Golden Spider.

The second was a large basket attached to a thick spider-silk rope which extended from the top of the peak to the ground. It held up to six full sized creatures and was attached to a winch which could be operated by as few as two strong beasts.

It was a variation of this second choice that the visitors used this day. When Robbi and her friends climbed into the basket and signaled that they were ready to ascend, the basket practically shot upward at a far faster pace that a manually operated winch could accomplish. Robbi smiled broadly. Their rate of ascent could mean only one thing, Arisha herself was pulling the basket upward.

Of all the beasts riding in the basket, only Robbi had ever been on the peak or ridden on the makeshift elevator before, so it was no surprise that she was the only one who remained calm. Every other beast in the container was filled with a combination of exhilaration and terror as they shot skyward.

Egbert, despite his natural bravery, had a fear of heights and huddled in a corner, making no effort to look out at either the scenery or the rapidly retreating ground. Phoebe and Bobo were in a completely different mindset. The two new friends stared wide-eyed over the edge of the basket, taking in all that they could see.

Thoris sat next to Egbert and occasionally took a peek during the ascent, then quickly sat back down to assure Egbert that things were going well. The mole shook nervously and tried to think of more comforting thoughts like cool earthen tunnels and sparkling brooks and streams.

The journey was not a quick ride. Sapphire Mountain was a very tall peak and even at the remarkable speed with which Arisha pulled them upward, it took many minutes before the end of their journey was even visible above them.

As they approached the apex of their ascent, all eyes turned upward toward the ledge which was quickly approaching. Robbi looked into the faces of her friends as the enormous mass of arms pulling in the rope became more visible.

She couldn't help chuckling at the open-mouthed awe reflected in their looks. She remembered the first time she had seen the Golden Spider and the mixture of absolute fear and indescribable wonder that she felt.

The basket came to a halt below a large overhanging ledge. Phoebe looked upward at the enormous tree-sized limbs which supported them. The arms began to sway slightly in order to swing the basket safely out from under the stone protrusion. When the basket was clear, the arms moved upward, bringing it around the ledge and upward onto the plateau on the top of the mountain where it was gently deposited on the ground.

"We're here!" Thoris said to no one in particular as he felt the comfort of hard ground through the bottom of the basket.

"Thank Targas," Egbert said weakly, a grin of relief spreading over his homely face.

He stood up and found himself facing a mass of eight enormous eyes staring at him. His knees failed and he found himself again at the bottom of the basket. He looked up to see his nephew, Wilbur, staring down at him.

"Welcome to Arisha's sanctuary, Unc," he said cheerfully, then noting his uncle's pallor, added, "are you alright?"

Egbert managed a weak smile as he stood once more.
"Oi'm foine, just a little overwhelmed. This is all very new to me."