The Wild

The Sojourner pulled up to the center of a group of bamboo piers set out on the edge of a large village that bordered the enormous lake. The escorting boats tied up next to them and all the beasts debarked. Graber Graekwar led Deeb and Yagun toward the village followed by the bear Trableck Deepfurrow and a host of other beasts.

Yagun felt a bit nervous. He knew that humans were considered the enemy here in the Wild and he adjusted the sack over his head and the two small cloth bags he had covered his hands with. It was hot and he was becoming very uncomfortable, but self-preservation won out and he continued onward following Graber without complaint.

Graber led his saviors to the center of the village. Most of the dwellings were constructed of an adobe-like hardened clay. The homes were not too small nor overly large. They were circular one-story dwellings with palm frond roofs. Most were large enough to accommodate two rooms plus a kitchen and a small general area. They had window openings around the entire structure with wooden shutters which could be opened and closed.

The doors of even the smallest hut were intricately carved with figures and abstract designs carved into thick planks of a local red-hued wood. There were approximately two hundred of these dwellings situated in concentric circles radiating out from the village's central structure, the chieftain's lodge. This dwelling was considerably larger than any other in the village, but of the same circular design.

Graber threw open the front door and entered unannounced, gesturing to Deeb and Yagun to follow. Trableck entered with them, but the rest of the escort remained outside.

The front room was obviously also the  equivalent of a throne room to the chief. It was large with no furniture save an ornate wooden chair on a raised platform. In the rear of the room, three creatures leaned over a fourth who lay moaning on a mat. Upon the entrance of Graber into the room, a rough-looking badger stood bolt upright and stared toward the intruders in wordless astonishment.

A dark smile played on Graber's face.
"Vulmer," he said bitterly, "you seem surprised to see me."

The badger swallowed hard and forced himself to smile.
"I am...we feared the worst, thank the gods you are all right."

Graber motioned to Deeb and Yagun.
"Thank these beasts first. They saved me from drowning," he looked toward the moaning figure, "how is my father?"

"Not well Graber," Vulmer said shaking his head, "he has gone steadily downhill the past few days."

"I'll bet he has, Vulmer," he raised his voice, "I want everyone out of here except for Deeb and Yagun." No one moved.

"Do you think that wise?" asked Vulmer, "Your father needs our attention. These healers," he pointed to the two rats attending the prone chieftain, "are the best healers in the land."

"And this," Graber said pointing to Deeb, "is the finest healer outside it. Now leave before I have you thrown out...I will not ask nicely again!"

The two rats scurried out meekly with Vulmer in their wake. Graber put his paw on Deeb's shoulder.

"Please look after my father. See if you can help him."

"Of course," Deeb answered. He knelt by Graber's father and began to examine him. He checked his nostrils, eyes, and the inside of his mouth.

After a short while he looked up at Skaar, "It is some sort of a deepwort root, I think. I will need some salted milk and ground water-rushes."

"What is deep-root?" Graber asked.

"A poison," Skaar responded, " a very nasty poison."

Graber became very agitated and addressed Trableck.
"Get them everything they need, my friend," his face became clouded with anger, "and detain Vulmer."