The Flames of Perdition

Agnar and Elidure were unlikely friends for many reasons. First and foremost was the fact that Elidure was a beast in a land where beasts were treated as inferiors. It was only because of the unique relationship between King Lodur and Acheron combined with the fear most Aesirians had of both the king and the dark enchanter that ensured the young fox's safety within the boundaries of the Mannheim.

The other reason that their friendship was unusual was the contempt with which King Lodur looked upon his son and the hatred the king had for all beasts except Acheron. These circumstances would have embittered or influenced a man of lesser will and character than Agnar, yet despite what his father thought of him, the prince was a confident and self-reliant young man who chose his own friends and formed his own opinions. It might be argued that this was because of the way he was treated and ignored, but that thought would not give Agnar the credit he was due.

The two friends were seated on the floor of King Lodur's quarters playing a game of chess. The were both bright and thus well-matched at most games they played.

Agnar addressed his friend.
"Does your father ever smile? I don't think I've ever seen him do it."

Elidure raised his head.
"Does yours?"

Agnar laughed.
"Not if I'm around he doesn't."

Elidure became serious.
"I've seen my father smile only once since my mother died. It was when we first saw Lyonisia. We had almost given up hope of finding land. We were out of water and food and I was crying. He saw this land and raised my head so I could see it too. Then he smiled at me. That was the last time."

The prince looked wistful.
"At least he loves you. My father views me as noting but an inadequate heir. If he ever remarries and has another son, I fear I will mysteriously disappear."

The fox shook his head.
"You can't believe that...he's your father...you're his flesh and blood!"

"I don't just believe it, I'm sure of it," Agnar said sadly, "he killed my mother without shedding a tear."

Elidure looked suddenly very sorrowful.
"My father too."

"But you have told me that that was an accident and he is haunted by it. My father brings my mother's death up happily to put me in my place and to be hurtful."

Elidure suddenly laughed loudly.
"We certainly have difficult fathers. It's a wonder we're not both crazy."

Agnar joined in the laughter.
"Perhaps we are and we're just too insane to realize it."

Just as Elidure was about to reply, the door to the room opened and Acheron walked in.

"I didn't expect anyone to be here," Euras said flatly, "I have some business to attend to on the king's behalf."

"We'll leave if you like, father."

"That would be preferable," Acheron turned towards Agnar, "I would appreciate your assistance before you departed, Prince Agnar."

Agnar pulled an annoyed face.
"I'm glad someone remembers I'm the prince, though that doesn't stop you from treating me like a servant."

"My apologies, but your father was quite adamant in his request that this task be carried out. If you don't wish to assist me briefly, I understand, as I'm sure your father will," Acheron said ominously, then continued, "I only require you to come out onto the balcony and help me locate a particular portion of the city below. You are more familiar with the city than I, as I avoid most interaction with the populace...however if you cannot or will not help me, I will find someone else."

Agnar sighed with resignation.
"Just ask me what you need Euras, I have aggravated my father enough for today."

Acheron walked out onto the balcony overlooking Mannheim and beckoned the Prince to follow. Agnar and Elidure walked out together and leaned on their elbows on the marble rail.