Orphan of the Sea

The northeastern shore of Lyonisia faces a shallow sea containing a scimitar-shaped archipelago of of barren stone isles and coral islets. At the very end of this archipelago, at the tip of the scimitar, one of these tiny islands stands out from all the rest. It is no wider than thirty feet, yet nearly one hundred feet high.

Its summit is covered in a dome-shaped structure constructed of reeds and driftwood, of the flotsam and jetsam collected over the years by its owner. Pieces of sail, dried seaweed, and torn clothing lost to the sea, fill in the gaps of its constructed skeleton, providing warmth, safety, and a dry place to rest during the frequent storms which punish the surrounding waters.

This is the home of  Nawby Tarroo. He is a Sea-Eagle, a pale broad-winged avian with long sharp talons and a fearsome hooked beak which belies his diet of fish and mollusks. He was born in the dome on a hot summer's day, forcing himself through the dense shell of his egg to an empty space filled with rotting fish.

No parents ever returned, no mother to feed him and no father to teach him about the world. The pile of rotting fish was what sustained him until his tiny limbs were strong enough to scale down to the shoreline where an abundant bed of mussels provided him the sustenance to survive.

He took the name Nawby Tarroo from letters scratched into the wood of his home. He learned to fly and speak from a kindly pelican named Blesphus whom he encountered at the mussel-bed while still a tiny chick.

Blesphus had been ancient when Nawby first met him and had passed from this life while Nawby was still young. The eagle had been by himself for many years now, taking comfort in the sounds of the sea and the many small treasures he had collected to decorate his home.

Nawby taught himself to read from a child's primer he found amidst a trunk of books floating in the sea after a storm.

The other birds were all terrified of him, not surprisingly, for he had grown into a fierce-looking adult. They scattered whenever he shared their skies. He was lonely without knowing it, for he had always been alone and knew no other life save the short time the kindly old pelican had treated him as a son.

None of these seemingly sad circumstances damaged Nawby's optimistic and basically positive outlook on life. He enjoyed his days for the most part and on those occasional dark periods when he pitied himself or found himself drowning in sorrow, he would focus on the sea and lose himself in its magnitude and splendor. When this exercise was complete, he would find himself once more centered and joyous in his existence.

On this particularly glorious day, there was no sorrow nor trepidation present in Nawby's demeanor, only hunger

On this particularly glorious day, there was no sorrow nor trepidation present in Nawby's demeanor, only hunger. He had felt especially peckish all morning, but put off searching for food until his self-imposed chores at the nest were completed. These primarily involved cleaning and tidying his space, a weekly exercise he'd practiced since childhood. His tasks complete, Nawby now focused his attention to the empty feeling in his stomach.