The Dark Enchanter

King Lodur sat upon his throne studying maps of Lyonisia when Hymir returned with the enchanter. He looked up at the beast in front of him with mixture of revulsion and fascination. The enchanter was wearing a dull brown cowled robe which completely obscured his features. He approached the throne with Hymir behind him and kneeled at Lodur's feet.

"You summoned me sire?" he asked in an emotionless monotone.

"Remove your hood, wizard, I wish to look into the eyes of those with whom I speak."

Acheron Euras pulled back his hood and looked up at the king. Lodur stared at him, trying unsuccessfully to see the visage of a fox in front of him. The beast at his throne was not so much disfigured as transformed. His head and neck were almost completely void of hair and the exposed skin glistened as though wet. His color was unnatural. He was as black as obsidian, without a blemish or scar. It was impossible to determine his age, there was simply no frame of reference for a creature such as Acheron. The only bits of color within the enchanter's face were his eyes, which sparkled a brilliant emerald green.

Euras' position in Aesirian society was unique. All the beasts within the Wild were considered rebels and hunted without mercy. All the beasts outside the Wild and outside the cities were considered serfs and toiled on their lands to feed the Aesirian populace. Finally, all the beasts within the cities were servants or slaves.

Only Euras was different. He was a beast that commanded respect, but one who served his king's whims without question. He could go anywhere without fear of harassment. Humans moved out of his way when he approached.

Acheron had no love of any living creature save his son, Elidure. He served Lodur to assure his son's safety and future. He knew that the king held his son over his head like an executioner's ax, but this fact didn't upset him. Lyonisia was his home now and his service ensured Elidure's prosperity, education, and safety. His son was tutored within the palace and lived with his father in spacious quarters befitting a key aid to the king.

Though treated with suspicion and resentment by most Aesirians, Elidure found friendship in the company of Prince Agnar. He and the Prince shared a feeling of isolation and hopelessness and while this might not have been the ideal basis for friendship, it was an honest one and they had grown quite fond of each other. Lodur did not approve of the friendship, but allowed it just the same. He did not wish to irritate Euras or alienate his loyalty.

Lodur stood and faced the sorcerer.
"I have a problem I wish you to solve."

"What is his name?"

Lodur laughed heartily.

"I've always appreciated you directness," the king turned to Hymir, "Don't you find it refreshing, Dastul?"

Hymir did not share the king's high regard for Euras and nodded unenthusiastically. Lodur continued addressing Acheron.

"I do not yet know exactly who or how many. This will be a delicate endeavor. I will certainly be suspected, but it should appear to be the work of the rebels."

"Do you have a preference concerning the type of action these 'rebels' will take?" Acheron asked flatly.

"A heinous arson, I should think...perhaps a manifesto nailed on a nearby door." The king smiled.

"I can fulfill your wish, sire. However someone else should nail your rebel's confession to the door. I am easily recognized and prefer to remain in the castle.

Lodur scratched his head, then nodded.
"A good point, Euras. I will arrange for that portion of our enterprise."

A guard entered the room and approached the king.
"There are four senators waiting to see you, sire. They said it was a matter of some importance."