Chapter 2: The Talk

As I'm about to tell my children the truth about our history and the powers we may have, there is a knock at the door. Deciding not to open it, because this is too important, the door opens anyway and Lori walks in with a big smile on her face. She then comes directly into our living room, looking like she's ready to burst.

"Oh great, you're all here! I have something to tell you, and we are going to need your help. Josh and I are getting married and we want all of you to be part of the wedding!" Lori says excitedly, and then she sees our faces.

"Oh no, what's wrong?" She asks as her excitement disappears.

Talion says, "Lori, that's great news, but we were just about to explain our heritage. The kids have powers, we just found out and we need to discuss this as a family. It would be helpful if you would sit in and help explain this to them."

"Um, hold on a minute." She says and then walks back to the door.

Lori adds, "Josh should be here in a minute, so let me just lock this, and then we will talk."

See her reaction. I ask, "He doesn't know?"

She shakes her head no.

Lori answers, "No, why would he? I don't have any powers."

"Alright, come take a seat and let's start the conversation," Talion says.

Looking at her, I say, "You know, when the two of you get married, it's hard to go back and explain the past without feelings getting hurt. Maybe Josh should join this discussion so that he is on the same page. What do you think?"

Lori answers, "What if he doesn't understand? Maybe he would look at me differently. I'm just not sure if my fiancé can handle the truth right now."

Looking at my kids, I wish she didn't answer that way, but I understand her worries.

"Actually, Josh might know more than he's letting on. Lori, he may be waiting for you to be honest with him. After all, he was one of the neighbors on the street. Josh lived there for years and might be more involved than you think. It would make sense to be honest from the start, unlike how Cece and I began. Nothing good can come from lies or secrets. Look at me, you've seen how this almost destroyed all of us. For years I was torn from my family. These children are my world and Cece, is my heart, so trust me when I say that secrets can ruin your life." Talion states as Lori smiles and then nods.

When we hear a knock, she stands and slowly walks over to answer the door, knowing it is probably her future husband, on the other side. Opening the door, it's my sister Kelly, and she looks nervous. Behind her, Josh appears, and he seems off as well.

"Hey Kelly, is everything alright?" I ask as she walks in and takes a seat.

Josh comes over and takes Lori's hand. He kisses her head and stands behind her with his arm around her waist.

Looking at Luke, Kelly says, "Um... Something happened in the church. Just so you know, Josh and Uncle Todd, took care of it, sweetheart. I think we need to discuss what happened with your parents, Luke."

"Yes, we were just about to when Lori came for a visit and now that you're both here too, I think we should begin," I say, as Lori takes a seat again.

Standing up, Talion explains, "Okay, everyone, I guess it's time to explain what we know to be true. A very long time ago, my parents and mom's parents were involved with a strange group of people who believed in witchcraft. I know this sounds crazy and for years I didn't believe in any of this myself, but now I know that some people do have these amazing powers. Do I think they are witches? No, not really, but there is more going on than we know."