Chapter 6: Midsummer

Today is August 20th, yet it feels like December 20th, here in the northeast. The weatherman says it may even snow, which is bizarre. He also stated that the earliest snow ever recorded in the United States was on August 22, but that was in Montana, back in 1992.

Why do I have a feeling that this has something to do with me and my family? Probably because the last cataclysmic event, that happened here in the states, was due to my so-called "husband" at the time.

When Lori walks into the room she says to me, "Good, you're awake. How are you feeling, Cece?"

Looking up at her, I reply, "I'm good, but can you believe the weather? Look at this, it might snow."

"Wow, that is crazy. I was hoping to go to the beach once we got back here. Josh and I love swimming in the lake." She says with a smile.

"Is Avery still sleeping?" I ask.

Taking a seat on the couch across from me, Lori says, "He would sleep all day if I'd let him. My boy loved staying at the Safe Zone while we were on our honeymoon, and I guess he met a girl. Of course, he's being very tight-lipped about her. I'll admit, it's very nice to see him, clean-cut and taking pride in his appearance. Avery asked me to get him some cologne."

As we giggle, Josh comes walking into the living room, and he looks so happy. Taking a sip of coffee, he takes a seat next to his new wife.

"What are you two laughing about?" He asks.

Lori explains, "I'm just telling Cece, about Avery and that he's found a girl."

Looking at the lovebirds, smiling at each other, I glance around the house wondering where my husband might be.

Standing up, I ask, "Are you guys getting hungry? I thought we could have omelets and fruit salad this morning. How does that sound?"

"Sounds great and I'll help." Lori answers.

I reply, "Nope, you stay here and enjoy the quiet, for as long as it lasts. Thank you so much for coming to stay with us. I know it sounds crazy, but after I lost an entire day..."

"Cece, you don't need to thank us. We had nowhere to go and again, you saved me. If it wasn't for you, Josh and I would never have even met. You'll be fine, sweet sister, and if there is anything you need me to do, then I will help out as best as I can." She replies as I walk over and hug her.

Entering the kitchen, I start gathering the things I'll need to make our breakfast. Realizing that we are out of eggs in the kitchen, I slip on my flip-flops to go out to the garage for more from the outside fridge.

When I open the door, I hear talking and recognize that it's Talion talking on the phone.

"Listen to me. She doesn't need to know. I have to get back in there before they notice I'm gone. Yes, stop worrying and I'll call when I get a chance. Goodbye." He says and then hangs up the phone.

Turning around, he sees me standing in front of the outdoor refrigerator and says, "Hey babe, I was just checking on the weather at the ranch. I guess it's getting cold there too. Why are you out here, sweetheart? Is there something you need?"

"We are out of eggs in the house and I'm making omelets, so I came out to get more. Is everything alright?" I ask while trying to act nonchalant about what he just said.

Talion nods and says, "Yes, it will all be fine. The temperature has to go back up and then the vines will be fine. We did get a slight frost, but they told me that it didn't reach the inside. Alright, so omelets for breakfast sounds good."