Chapter six, II

25.12.19
10:12am

We arrive at Chaeyoung and Joy's place half an hour later. Well, their place- that is if Chaeyoung didn't try to trick us.

We knew where their company had the apartments for their artists anyway, but searching through every single place there and getting in without Chaeyoung would have been nearly impossible.

The idol instruct Jackson to park in front of one of the building, not different from the others, just as big and impressive. To think that they had to thread lives in exchange of the luxury of living here make me feel uneasy...

Who knows who else had to do terrible thing in order to achieve their sick dreams ?

Lisa and Jackson are the firsts to go out the car, Jackson has his hand in his pocket, probably still holding his gun to prevent Chaeyoung from trying to run away. The girl seems to have noticed it as well, judging on the way she keeps on staring at him with a worried expression on her face.

"They won't let you in," Chaeyoung says, "Even with me, they'll have to check your IDs, and I bet Joy made sure that they knew your names, it's over for you,"

Lisa just let out a small laugh at that, and I shake my head, a smile on my lips. Did she really think we were amateurs ?

"Thought you knew us better Chaeng," Lisa answers her.

We've been planning this for three years. We thought about every single details, the only unsure thing was how to get her to lead us to Joy. It's her fault she was naive enough to follow us so far.

Chaeyoung stays silent now, probably waiting for anyone to come to her rescue. At least she's smart enough to stay calm and avoid doing anything stupid, it'd really sadden me to kill her now.

I reach for the phone in my pocket and quickly types Jongin's number. We really need him, now. Hopefully everything went well.

"Hey," I say as soon as he answers, not hiding my smile one bit.

"Jen?"

"Yeah," I chuckle, "We're here, building, uh..." I turn around to check quickly before speaking up again, "3A. We're waiting for you,"

"Great," I can hear at his voice that he's relieved we made it so far. I am, too. "I'll be there in five minutes, wait for me," He just says before hanging up.

Oh this is going so perfectly.

I turn to the small group, smiling at Chaeyoung. Maybe I've really gone mad for enjoying this so much. I don't care much, to be honest.

"Rosie," I call out, trying to sound as sweet as possible, and she just rolls her eyes at me.

"What?"

Everyone seems occupied, all talking to each other, and I want to have a bit of fun too.

"Nothing, just wanna talk," I say as I get closer to her, leaning against the hood of the car, "Oh and, try to smile more, it'll seem more natural,"

She gives me a cold look, but do as she's told. God, she's so obedient- I love it so much.

"Why are you doing this?" She asks me, her voice shaking a little.

"Payback," I shrug, "You cannot turn my life to hell without expecting me to get back at you for this, rosie, that's pretty stupid of you."

She shakes her head, probably fighting against her tears again. How weak. "It was Joy's idea," She says, and I chuckle.

"You didn't do anything to stop her though, did you?"

"She manipulated me."

"Of course," I pause for a few seconds, looking into her eyes, "It's never your fault."

If I didn't know better, I could almost see sadness in her eyes, or regret maybe. But I know her, and know what she's capable of now.

"I'm sorry," She chokes out, "I wish I didn't,"

"It's too late," I say, trying to ignore the way my heart is clenching in my chest. No matter what I think of her now, she used to be my friend- part of my family almost. I can't just erase that. "Look, Chaeyoung." I take a deep breath, "You chose to do what you did, but- Joy is still our main, um... Target. We're not after you."

"But..."

"We're not just gonna let you live normally, don't get your hopes up. But we might be more... Gentle, if you listen to us." I say, and she just nods as a few tears spill from her eyes.

Before I can say anything else, play with her a little more, I see Kai walking towards us with a wide smile. I wave at him, all eyes on me now, and as soon as he's near me I jump in his arms and hug him tightly.

Finally, I'm surrounded by people I trust.

He chuckles, hugging me back, and I hear someone scoffing behind us, prompting us to break apart. Not fair, I miss being hugged.

When I turn around, Jackson his looking at us with his eyebrow furrowed, Sana is smiling, as always, and Lisa is just staring at her feet, avoiding my gaze.

What's up with her?

I just ignore it, we don't have time for this now.

"Hey, I'm Kai, nice to meet you," He says with a polite smile, and everyone just ignores him. Well, nice.

I clear my throat, "Um, we ready to go?" I ask, and everyone nods.

Chaeyoung keeps on staring at him weirdly. I guess she didn't expect that.

Our plan was always for him to get as close as possible from the duo. He kept me informed of what they were up to while I was in prison, and now he managed to get in their company and steal someone else's identity.

I gotta admit, with the body he has- anyone would believe he's part of the security team. Our cover is perfect.

As we make our way inside the building, no one dares to speak up anymore. The previously relaxed and happy atmosphere now replaced by a much tenser one. 

As soon as we're inside, I feel my heart beating faster. It has to go well.

A security guard sees us, not noticing Kai behind us yet, and gives us a polite smile.

"Miss Park, good morning," He says and she only nods at him with a gentle smile, probably not daring speaking with us right behind. "IDs, please," He tells us all, not questioning our presence Which is good.

He seems rather nice, I hope he wont bother us too much.

"Oh, um," Kai speaks up, taking a few steps forward so the guard can see him. "I checked their IDs already," he explains, taking out his own card to prove he's part of their team too.

The guy seems to hesitate for a few seconds, which seem like the longest seconds ever, before nodding, "Okay, perfect,"

I hear Lisa let out a sigh of relief behind me, and can't hold back my smile. Chaeyoung, on the other hand, seems way less relaxed than we are.

"Wait a second," The guy says, and we all freeze. Oh, no. What now? "I don't recall seeing you here, are you new?" He asks Kai.

Oh, no. This doesn't seem so good.

My friend just nod, his smile never leaving his face. "Yeah, I started last week," he explains calmly, "I'm still being trained, so..."

"Oh, alright," He says, "Well... welcome then," He answers smiling, and I almost want to scream of happiness. It's okay, we're okay.

"Thank you," Kai answers him, "I um- have to go check upstairs now, the boss said someone heard something and-"

"Of course, go ahead," He says, "Oh and, Merry Christmas kids," He continues with a wide smile, talking to us now, and we all wish him a happy Christmas too before making our way upstairs. We did it. We made it.