Chapter 2: Soul Mates"

Yet, those were not the most evil of their schemes. Given a chance, Bai Jinli would have already been thrown on the beds of any wealthy investors. As far as the company was concerned, the potential investment and programmes had actual value. However, Bai Jinli should consider herself lucky. Her upbringing from the suburbs was her saving grace. Her deep-rooted traditionalist morals had saved her from losing her chastity.

Well, that was also the main factor in why she hadn’t reached success. She lacked talent. She lacked a formidable background. She lacked critical social skills. Yet, she had refused to pawn her marketable body for success. In light of all this, it was unsurprising that she was unsuccessful.

With a heavy sigh, Jinli plodded out of the bathroom. Her eyes squinted at the man unattractively sprawled on the floor.

“Erm… Who in the world is he?”

In her memory, Bai Jinli had been coaxed into coming to this pub by her closest of friends, An Rou. They were from the same entertainment company and she was also Bai Jinli’s only friend.

An Rou had always been there for her. She extended large amounts of aid to Bai Jinli, bringing her along to work events, ensuring her share of resources. An Rou even stood up for her when she was reprimanded by the company’s managers. Quite simply, she could be awarded the “Annual Best Soul Mate” title.

Yet…

Jinli’s eyes drooped, her face downcast.

What happened after Bai Jinli came to the club? How did she end up drinking drugged wine? Why was An Rou nowhere to be seen when Bai Jinli was so heavily intoxicated?

Jinli had no clue how she ended up here. Nor did she know the identity of the suspicious collapsed man on the ground. What she was certain about was that Bai Jinli would not volunteer to drink with such a person.

How could she be so sure?

Looking down at the man’s flawless, striking face, her lips curled into a sneer. With a soft scornful snort, she thought, “If this stunning gentleman is truly a wealthy investor, An Rou must be a saint to have given her chance away. Whatever. It is none of my business.”

She looked down and assessed her situation. Her skirt was ripped down the side, revealing a huge amount of her pearl-white skin. Unapologetically, she deprived the man of his blazer, putting it on herself, effectively covering her bare skin. Satisfied, she sauntered out of the room.

Unbeknownst to her, after her departure, the consciousness of the ragged man on the floor slowly seeped back. As the situation gradually dawned on him, his face darkened to pitch-black, and his eyes overflowed with murderous intent. He whipped out his phone, and with a shaky, ice-cold voice, he shattered the silence.

“Find out who in the world dared to drug my drinks? Also —-”

In his haze, flashes of her enchanting, sakura-pink eyes and the arousing view under her clothes clogged his mind. He clasped his eyes shut, tightly. In a muffled, throaty voice, he asked.

“Also, that woman in the room. Who was she?”

——

Jinli took a cab back to her condominium. On the journey back, the cabbie had observed her beaten appearance. Her hair was shaggy, and she even wore a man’s blazer. Sensing something was amiss, he offered help. Out of kindness, he offered to call the police.

“…”

Politely rejecting the kindhearted offer, she paid and walked to her neighbourhood.

The instant she entered her apartment, Jinli heard a loud cry. “My gosh! Jinli! What happened to you?” Looking behind her, she saw a young lady standing at the bathroom door. She wore a sleeping robe and was giving herself a facial mask.

Meet An Rou. Bai Jinli’s roommate and best friend.

An Rou surveyed Jinli’s appearance. Messy hair, paper-white face, and she was even wearing a man’s blazer. She looked pathetic. Excitement and joy passed through her body like a current.

Did my plans finally succeed? Did this Bai Jinli really sleep with an investor?

Noticing Bai Jinli’s silence, she swiftly tore the mask off her face. Tossing it aside, she walked hastily towards Bai Jinli, wrapping their hands together affectionately. Concern overflowed from her face. “Jinli, why are you not talking? Where were you all night? I had just gone out for a breather, and the next moment you were gone! President Wang also disappeared with you. Were you with him?”

President Wang, he was the man An Rou had brought Bai Jinli to meet. The so-called very important investor. He was truly an utterly detestable middle-aged man.

Being heavily neglected, Bai Jinli had not many work appointments on that day, as usual. She only went to the club on An Rou’s insistence. She was told that the client An Rou was meeting was a wealthy investor. An Rou had hoped that Bai Jinli could leave an impression on him. It was supposedly a huge chance for her to leap to fame.

What a terrible excuse.

In reality, An Rou had only used Bai Jinli’s bewitching beauty as a negotiating chip. Luckily for her, this idiotic woman truly believed that she was being taken care of and that An Rou was helping her expand her connections.