Chapter 39: Conflict

Finishing her sentence, Jinli turned towards Xu Zhiyi.

“And this little girl is so not cute.”

Xu Zhiyi’ face balled up as she stared blankly. A few moments later, she finally reacted, glaring at Jinli falteringly. “What… what did you say?”

Very bluntly, Jinli rebutted her, not bothering to cover up her dissatisfaction even a little. “For one, I already said that I don’t like you calling me Sister. I wouldn’t have such an old sister as you.”

“Secondly,” her finger was thrusted at Lu Qingyuan, then to herself, “you like him, but you hate him. I know it, you don’t need to put on that repulsive smiling face at me. Honestly, it’s gross.”

“You!” Xu Zhiyi’s face had turned magma red, her voice suppressed and cracking.

It never occurred to her that Jinli would be so aggressive and blunt on screen. After all, they were being filmed, not speaking privately.

Looking at Jinli with a wronged expression, she whispered, “I, I’ve never thought this way…”

Her face scrunched up and her eyes glistening with tears as all of her unspoken grievances overflowed from her heart.

Watching the exaggerated act, Jinli’s pearly white teeth sparkled as she laughed: “Don’t bother acting all pitiful in front of me..”

That sentence stole any hope of producing cognitive speech from Xu Zhiyi. Whining, she covered her face and escaped to a corner.

Instantly, the atmosphere turned suffocatingly awkward.

Fortunately, the timely arrival of the show’s host chipped away at the painful atmosphere. Together with him came jaw-dropping news.

“In this season of “Survival on the Inhabited Island”, there will be some changes to the rules. The 2 spots for our permanent guests are removed, which means everyone here is to survive independently through the week.”

“What?” An exasperated gasp bellowed from Xu Zhiyi.

In the corner of her eyes, Jinli found something intriguing but not unexpected. Xu Zhiyi’s eyes were sharp and clear again. Not a trace of her tears was left behind.

Hmph. How professional, a virtuoso actor indeed.

At this moment, if there was one thing that was genuine, it would be her current shock.

With the backing of a wealthy investor, she had entered the industry and bought a spot in this show. Furthermore, she was told that one of the permanent guests had been bribed. When the time came, she would receive special attention and more screen time. She was also promised to be provided with background information, giving her an upper hand.

Hearing the news, how could she not be in despair? What was sure to be gained was lost in that moment.

“Why? Why was it cancelled in such a last-minute fashion?” Xu Zhiyi demanded.

“The planning committee had just decided on the rules.” The production team simply smiled and shook their heads. No more, no less.

Biting her lower lip, Xu Zhiyi stormed away.

“All right everyone, we shall proceed to the hotel and rest up for the day.” The 2 days to familiarise themselves with each other began at that moment. After which, the speedboat would bring them to the island, marking the beginning of their 1 week of filming.

As they boarded the car, Xu Zhiyi sent a loatheful glare at Jinli and stormed onto the car first. Owing to the sudden changes in plans and the public embarrassment from Jinli, her mood was at rock bottom. With the cameras not rolling, she did not bother putting on a social, friendly front any longer.

Hmph. We shall wait and see. When our conversation gets aired, any audience with eyes to see will be able to tell who the arrogant and aggressive bully is.

Following Xu Zhiyi, everyone else boarded with the last being Lan Ting. She looked at the remaining seats and hesitatingly walked over to Jinli.

In a lowered voice, she asked courteously, “May I sit here?”

Jinli nodded.

A loud condescending snort echoed from Xu Zhiyi as Lan Ting sat down.

What a narrow-minded girl. What kind of dogshit underhanded move did she use to get chosen for the show?

While it may have been unknown to the public, Xu Zhiyi knew from her investor. While, this show claimed to be picking viewers to participate at random. All the citizen guests, except Lan Ting, had handed over an extravagant sum to be “randomly chosen” for this opportunity.

...